And it begins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

so does the solid plastic bit get removed from the diaphragm?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

The part that is on top of the needle, under the spring? it goes back in on top of the new needle.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, so that bit stumped me for a while. the diaphrapm had sealed itself to the metal cover, so it looked like it was glued somehow, making me think twice about separating them.

I eventually did, and spent a decent 2 hours fretting that I had just cost myself a new diaphragm. Out of pure luck, I glanced at the carb body, and realised there was a lip there, that seals it. Kicking myself for stupidity, and jumping for joy all at the same time as putting it all back together, it took a bit longer than I predicted. Got out on a test ride this evening, with the snorkle removed. My initial impressions is that it's freed up quite considerably in the lower ranges, with the top range staying about the same. Can't wait to try it in the mud this weekend!

Thanks for all the help people! Couldn't have done it without the priceless wisdom from this forum.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

last question! (i think).

I've removed the snorkle (high flow snorkle on the way).

How can you tell if your bike is running lean? Does it make a particular sound or do something weird?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

You'll get some popping when you decelerate. Also at 3/4 to full throtle the bike won't continue to accelerate. It'll feel knid of flat up there. The decel popping means you need a little more out on your fuel screw or you need a larger pilot jet. If your flat up top then you need a larger main jet.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

chur. will check it out tonight.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
You'll get some popping when you decelerate. Also at 3/4 to full throtle the bike won't continue to accelerate. It'll feel knid of flat up there. The decel popping means you need a little more out on your fuel screw or you need a larger pilot jet. If your flat up top then you need a larger main jet.
Excellent description, thanks for that! Mine pops on decel and seems to have a miss in higher rpms like about 8000. Also just seems like it should have more power @ the upper end. I thought that plug looked a little too clean.

On a side note I took the smog junk off of my '09 SF tonight and plugged the holes on the bottom of the tank and everywhere else applicable. When I went for a test ride it seemed to run out of gas and would not restart. I think I figured out one of the outputs on the bottom of the tank is a vent that used to go to the smog junk and when plugged creats a vaccume as more fuel is used the less it lets into the carb untill it starves the bike till it dies. How did you guys remedy this problem if you removed all the smog junk? Simply leave the hole open or run it to some type of filter? (Guess I could run it to one of the newly freed up air box ports) No fuel spills out of it even when full but when I took the cap off there was a vaccume.

Thanks ahead of time...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Plug the middle outlet on the bottom of the gas tank and install vent hoses on the other two outlets. Run the vent hoses down to the rear shock area just in case you drop your bike. Hey, San Pedro is less than 10 minutes from my house. I've never seen an SF on the street. Only at a dealer. That bike is gonna be a blast once you do some mods to it!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpaul310
Plug the middle outlet on the bottom of the gas tank and install vent hoses on the other two outlets. Run the vent hoses down to the rear shock area just in case you drop your bike. Hey, San Pedro is less than 10 minutes from my house. I've never seen an SF on the street. Only at a dealer. That bike is gonna be a blast once you do some mods to it!
I love this thing! We should go for a ride sometime. I'm off today so myself and a buddy are going to go ride Ortega Hwy today as soon as I change out my main jet. Your welcome to come...

As for the gas tank lines, from front to back. The first one is a vent I will run, the second one is another vent of some sort too that seems to run fine with it plugged, the third is already ran to the shock area, its for the over flow and the last two are fuel reserve and on lines. Maybe I could just put a "T" in the first line to the overflow (third) one right under the tank since it is already going to the shock area... What is the second one for? Another vent or just something for smog?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

can i come on this ortega cruse, im 15-20 mins from the lake smell-some-more side. thats hwy and de luz road are addicting, along with palomar mt.

Quick Reply: And it begins!