Beet oil cooler connections?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the way the lines are plumbed into the filter cover it looks like they are relying on just the pressure restriction across the filter to get oil to flow through the cooler. Worse yet, any oil that flows through the cooler is unfiltered and then fed directly to the crank-no thanks. The KLX uses ball bearings on everything except the cams so overheating the oil would require running with no coolant. I think that someone has way to much time on their hands...

Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Just did a search on eBay for "pit bike oil cooler"

$60 with shipping. Made for Pit bikes but would work. But then again why would you for a KLX.

125cc 150cc Engine Oil Cooler Radiator Cooling for Moto Dirt Pit ATV Bike Parts | eBay

Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tkm433
First off why would anyone in their right mind put an oil cooler directly behind the front tire on a bike designed to used in an off road world where it can get easily damaged on or off road???????

If you did decide to run an oil cooler why not place it in a safer place? If you need a point to mount the cooler lines if you felt the need to install an oil cooler why not use the existing oil cross over pipes that run from the case to the head. These point are already there and they will not make it a pain in the but to chain the oil.

I guess the frame sliders are there so when a rock takes out the oil cooler and all of the oil falls in the path of the rear tire that the bike will not get damaged when the bike crashes in its own oil path.

Sorry I do not use spell check!
Seems like good logic, but it's as simple as adding a guard to your oil cooler. you want airflow that's why people put it there. The only other option is to put it in front of the headlight. People who run the oil cooler on the xr650l have no problem having the oil cooler in same location.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd look into one of them radiators with the oil cooler built in. Much safer location.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Just did a search on eBay for "pit bike oil cooler"

$60 with shipping. Made for Pit bikes but would work. But then again why would you for a KLX.
Well I'm in the Philippines..it's probably in the 80s today and it's only going to get hotter throughout the Summer.

Add more HP with a 331 kit later and the other mods I've done and it may be good insurance? I doubt an oil cooler similar in size to the pic I posted is going to 'over-cool" my oil.

Good point about the obvious better choice to access oil for a cooler from the line going to the head if an oil cooler is ever something I want. They sell them here muuuch cheaper than the over $400 the Beet unit costs, so I'll look into local stuff when I'm downtown.

I've switched to Mobil 20/50 btw

Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
Well I'm in the Philippines..it's probably in the 80s today and it's only going to get hotter throughout the Summer.

Add more HP with a 331 kit later and the other mods I've done and it may be good insurance? I doubt an oil cooler similar in size to the pic I posted is going to 'over-cool" my oil.
Klx has an over engineered cooling system (two radiators and a fan), people have run the 351 in the 100 degree desert heat without it spitting up any coolant (kept the overflow tank).

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Richard,
In my opinion, the KLX cooling system is not over engineered. The engineers did just fine. It's the guys later who over applied it. I blame it on the architects.

[any architects out there? I'm calling you out! Only in jest...all in good fun]

My honest question is why would you expect your oil to overheat if the coolant was doing okay? You're doing an exemplary build on your KLX. I'm impressed. But why concerned about the oil. Check with the other guys in the hot climates like rickypanecatyl. His mileage on the 250 with a 351 later in melting heat is phenomenal. Cold oil isn't good.

But on the other hand, way to go for trying new mods out.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been riding fast & sitting in traffic in the hot humid Thai weather & never really had a problem with the 331 big bore for nearly 2 years (20,000km). Only time the bike overheated was when my AFR was very lean, keep her on the rich side & you'll not have a heat issue.

The only thing I did extra is change the coolant 3 times in 2 years with good quality pre-mix & I modified the thermostat by cutting the plunger bit off the end of it, this seems to help with water flow. My temp light has never come on since doing this modification. The temperature never drops below 20c (68f) even at night, so a cold start is never really a cold start & my bike warms up pretty quickly as a result.

I have personally never been interested in an oil cooler, the water cooling system is more than adequate if maintained regularly imho.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 03-08-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha-ha, okay I get it

I was just looking mostly for opinion on the connections at the oil filter cover, not really in a hurry to hang one on my bike

Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

From what I saw of this cooler mount, there IS NO FLOW. It taps into the filter cover on the outside of the filter (or inside depending on direction of flow inside) To actually have flow it would have to tap in dead center into the center tube with one of the fittings, but then if that was done it would be bypassing the filter.

The way this is set up it is purely thermosyphon for any flow and cooling. It likely won't be much.

The way this oil filter should be set up probably would be to run it in series with the external oil line from the cases to the head (if the 250 has one, the 650 does), which would put it right in line with the flow and channel the cooled oil to the head.

Is this a correct use? I don't know for sure. Personally I think the LC is adequate for virtually all general uses. Maybe high speed desert racing might call for a cooler, but I'm not so sure of that. Some research should be done.

Quick Reply: Beet oil cooler connections?