Been a while

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Been a while

Hello everyone,

you may remember me as the guy who would wipe out on my bike alot. I'll post some pictures of my last injuries as soon as I remember how. (leg was BLACK from the knee right down to the ankle, all around)

This after a week of healing, i regret not taking a picture when it was in its prime.

Anyway, thought I'd share some news. I sold my bike recently, and decided to take a KTM 450 EXC-R off my brothers hands. What a beast.

Glad to see the HOTD is still roaring.

Last edited by stellar_d; 04-24-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well.....while it's unconventional,....we will allow it. Now you and Nobrakes can have something to talk about. You do know that even though he sold his KLX, he's still a Mod here.

Post up a few pictures of the bike....but no dirty ones. LOL

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna hurl...

Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Bummer about the leg, SD. Kind of goes with the territory, though, huh. Sweet new ride, looks great! Not too sure about that tie-down job, though.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

completely secure, its on an ultimatemx hauler. theres big bolts that go through the pegs. the tie down was just to get some added stability closer to the front. i used that thing to haul my klx 250 through oil fields. she's solid

i'm pretty sure the leg could have been avoided, as i ran over a fallen tree at an angle, and it was wet (came around a corner and tried to get the front tire over it). this new one has no problems wheeling on command

we must discuss mods!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stellar_d
we must discuss mods!
Is that one street legal? If so, likely the only thing that needs done is to make sure it's jetted properly. I highly recommend the JD Jet Kit. Just follow the instructions based on your altitude and temps. And if the pipe has a restrictor, pull off the end cap and remove it with a dremel. Not much left to do after that - most everything else is ergos, gearing to suit, etc. Just put gas in it and ride.

http://www.jdjetting.com/

Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

She is street legal. The guy who owned it before my bro appears to have done some work to the carb already (as theres an adjustable fuel screw in there aftermarket). I already have a JD kit on the way, and going to have it re-done, because i honestly don't know what was done with it.

It looks like he also started the exhaust mod. There's a screw on baffle plate thats gone (part of the mod) and you can cut the top off like you say. However, one of the screws head is broken off that holds the endcap on, so i don't know if its been completed or not.

One big thing i've found online, is that there is a vapor canister to control emissions. Its attached to a bunch of hoses that include going to the carb and the cylinder, very much like the KLX. I've got a kit coming to plug off where the hoses went.

Other than those, thats all I plan/need to do. She's a monster

Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I forgot about the desmog. In KTM-lingo, that's called the cannisterectomy.

Here's a photo of the '07 end-cap and where to cut to de-restrict. Sounds like yours might be a little different, but concept is the same?

The '06 model, pre-street legal, did not require this. Derestricting increases the sound by only a little, but lets the bike breathe much better. The combination of that + the JD Jet Kit makes it run nice and smooth, not raspy, and it will run cooler as well.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh, if your bike has the carb overflow catch can tucked down near the swing-arm pivot with all the carb lines connected to it, I recommend just removing that and letting your carb lines breathe to atmosphere. That's there to catch gas if your bike tips over. But it can fill up and block your carb from breathing, and you will think your bike is flooded. There's a drain bolt to drain it, but that's more trouble than it's worth. Most folks just remove it and be done with it. Mine's sitting on the shelf.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice bike! (and bruise) congrats on the bike, bummer about the bruise.

Quick Reply: Been a while