bear

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bear

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

Here In Long Island we don't have to worry about Bears, rattlers, Gators, In the woods. All we have to worry about is the police on quads waiting to bust you. the police here have a special task force just to catch people riding in the woods.If they catch you they give you a fist full of tickets and impound you ride!!
[sm=bustedsign.gif]
So let me get this straight - only the cops are allowed to enjoy the great outdoors on their quads? Doesn't seem quite fair to me. And the penalty seems way harsh. Impound your ride - unbelievable.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:03 AM

Sounds like we need to "re-locate" some of our critters to Long Island. It will help us out as we will have less of them too worry about..and it will help you out because everyone knows that Bears and Gators love snacking on[sm=smiley30.gif]...on second thought..maybe it's donuts that they like.[sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

Sounds like we need to "re-locate" some of our critters to Long Island. It will help us out as we will have less of them too worry about..and it will help you out because everyone knows that Bears and Gators love snacking on[sm=smiley30.gif]...on second thought..maybe it's donuts that they like.[sm=imsorry.gif]

konacoiler,

You need to hope beyond hope that a tree-hugger does not see this and take action!

I mean that is a clear cut case of cruelty to animals! I'm talking about what you propose to subject those poor gators and bears to! I think that borders on the verge of cruel and unusual punishment. [sm=chairshot.gif]

I've been out on Long-ah Island on many occasisions. My wife's grandmother lives in Maspeth. I really never saw a need for a dualsport bike out there, except for perhaps jumping the 1/2 inch steel plates that were covering bike eating pot holes on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, or Kosciusko Bridge! Oh, I know why! So they can jump the pot holes BEFORE the road department gets to them 6 months after they happen!

Besides, if you take our gators away, we won't have anything to jump over here in Florida on our bikes!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

Deer in the road? Scary. Bear in the road? Scarrier. GATOR in the road?! HOLY S%#T! [sm=violin.gif]
Nah, with a Gator, you can just goose it, get the front wheel up and go on over it. The bear, on the other hand, you can not do that, unless it's a little cub. Then, if you do that to a cub, you have to contend with momma bear.

Most animals will run, including bears, when they encounter a car/motorcycle, out in the wild. Just rev the engine, with the clutch engaged, honk the horn and get ready to do hit the breaks, maybe do a 180, or, gas it and go bye.

I've tried to get pictures of bears, but, they usually run away too fast to do so. I've gotten pics of deer, grouse, and other animals while riding, but, not a bear. I use an Olympus Stylus Epic, that I can pull out of my coat pocket, open and shoot, with one hand, if the road permits, in just such an occasion.

It's really cool to see the wildlife when you are out riding.

Good to hear that the encounter went well, Deej.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 PM

Deej's bear sighting has generated some pretty humerous posts. [sm=groupwave.gif] Gotta love it. Hey Marty..How about posting a [sm=Flahssssss.gif] of you jumping a gator? That would be the mother of all pics.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Beware of water crossings in Florida. Can you count the gators?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1849/F32BDE9A71894551A4CBF4BBEC0237F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2006, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, for the hijack. This article creeped me out.

Alligator kills Florida jogger near canal

Thursday, May 11, 2006; Posted: 7:05 p.m. EDT (23:05 GMT)

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- An alligator grabbed and killed a Florida woman who disappeared while jogging near a canal, a medical examiner determined Thursday.

Construction workers found the woman's dismembered body floating Wednesday in a canal in Sunrise, a northwest suburb of Fort Lauderdale.

An autopsy showed she died of bleeding and shock from alligator bites. (Watch as police hunt for the killer -- 1:20)

"The alligator attacked her and basically amputated her arms, bit her on the leg and back and pulled her into the water," said Dr. Joshua Perper, the Broward County medical examiner, who performed the autopsy.

"She died extremely fast. By the time she was pulled into the water, she was already dead."

Perper said the woman, 28-year-old Yovy Suarez Jimenez, had been very close to the canal's edge when the alligator bit her, because her body showed no signs of having been dragged.

Relatives said the victim had gone jogging on Tuesday evening along a bicycle path near the canal. Wildlife officers said no one saw the attack.

"The way it happened, we just don't know," said Dani Moschella, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission,

Wildlife officers and commercial trappers were still trying to find the alligator, which was estimated to be 8 to 10 feet long, based on the woman's injuries. If captured, it will be killed, they said.

Alligator attacks are relatively rare. Suarez Jimenez's death was the 18th fatal attack in Florida since the state began keeping records in the 1940s, Moschella said.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:46 AM

While it's not a bear, not a gator, not a rattlesnake nor cottonmouth, not a deer or any other large animal, it is still one of the most of the most hideous critters that we have to contend with each year! To make matters worse, it shows itself twice a year, May and September.

When I walked out this morning, I saw the creatures - all over the place.

They are attracted to carbon monoxide. I had started by bike up and was letting it warm up while I got my gear on. When I turned around, there was a swarm around the bike.

One of the interesting facets of this obnoxious critter is that when you look at it's face, there is a sly little grin on it's face. Hey, if I had to fritter my life away while "flying united" I'm sure I'd have that same silly little grin, at least until I smashed on someone's windshield, face shield or other surface!

They show their little faces each year, very shortly after the Snowbirds get the flock out of Florida!

It's the much hated, acid bearing Love Bug! If you don't clean their remains off immediately, it will pit your paint!

Name:  LoveBug.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  138.4 KB

If you want to taste bugs, now is the time!

Old 05-13-2006, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The west end of long Island is like the city but if you come out to the east end it is a lot of farms, woods and rich people (the Hampton's). There is a lot of tree huggers out here and they put a lot of pressure on the police to enforce Any trespassing on private property or state land. Cause every square inch of this Island is owned by someone there is NO where to ride legally. so the police came up with a task force to just to catch you riding illegally. So they get paid $102.000 A year (top pay for a cop after 5 years, Highest in the country.) To ride quads all day and bust you!! I am not saying they don't deserve that money but go get some hard core criminals and don't break my chops for taking my bike out for a ride! First time caught is $500.00 and impound your ride and thats at the minimum. We do have A LOT of deer and wild turkeys here though!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, one more gator pic. This guy hangs out near my favorite fishing spot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1849/FC6A8606BDD546E3A4225EB2B32B9FFC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: bear