bear

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default bear

So I went down this logging road about a mile from a friends house and all of the sudden I come around a corner and there in the middle of the road was a big black bear, as I panicked and came to a stop, and did the traditional 180, I looked back to see him or her doing the same thing. I don't know who was more freaked out, it or me. LOL I was close enough that I bet some of the rocks from my back tire roost probably came close to hitting it. [sm=owned.gif] by a bear LOL

Old 05-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Default RE: bear

thats crazy. i'm always waiting to see a alligator down hear in FL

Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Cool - bear are awesome creatures. Good thing it wasn't a grizzley!

I keep seeing turkeys on my rides. I'm originally from WV and live in NC now. We had our share of turkeys in WV, but I never realized there were so many down here. I see them every ride, it seems like. They usually look surprised and trot off into the woods a ways and then just stand there with its head behind a tree, as if it thinks you can't see it anymore. I guess if it can't see you, it thinks you can't see it.

And snakes - we've got lots of those too, but its the wrong time of year for them to be out, but they are showing up more and more as the warm weather makes its presense felt.

But the critter I fear most ... those dumbass deer. Most of us have seen what they can do to a car or truck. I don't even want to think about one of those things jumping out in front of me on my bike while cruising down the back roads with any kind of speed.

I managed to get a photo of one of the turkeys before it got hidden too deeply in the woods. It's a little hard to spot but it is right in between those two trees.

Edit: image no longer works

Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 AM

Hey Deej. You should have snapped a pic before you rooster tailed your way out of there[sm=gears.gif]. I saw 3 deer while riding in the woods today..and they didn't even run out in front of me[sm=dontgetit.gif].

Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 PM

That turkey was quite easy to see!

I've come upon bear while out riding. Kind of look strange when they run across the road. Strangest galoomping style of gait I have ever seen on an animal!

Deer are something that petrifiy me on a bike. I've had several come out in front of me. Fortunately I have spotted every one prior to their making a break for the road. You play that "wait and see what happens" on so many of them. They think they can make it, then they hesitate, then they go, then they hesitate.

Gators in the road are cool to. I don't advise ever hitting one. They're a whole lot bigger than you and the bike combined and if you hit them, they get in an ugly mood. You'll probably fall and that could get messy!

Another creature that I have to contend with is the eastern diamondback rattler. During the winter months - best time to ride - you always come across one sunning himself in the middle of the road. The snake is a pretty neighborly one, he will make noise if he is going to strike.

Cameras in the woods let you take awesome shots.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Even if I had my camera, it takes 20 seconds to start up and I didn't want to end up on the 5:00 news as the guy that was eaten by a bear waiting for his camera to start. LOL

Sounded like one of those "Deep thoughts by Jack Handy" LOL

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

Hey Deej. You should have snapped a pic before you rooster tailed your way out of there[sm=gears.gif]. I saw 3 deer while riding in the woods today..and they didn't even run out in front of me[sm=dontgetit.gif].

Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Deer in the road? Scary. Bear in the road? Scarrier. GATOR in the road?! HOLY S%#T! [sm=violin.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I almost hit a black bear on my BMW K1200LT years ago. It came shooting out of the underbrush at full tilt about 50 yrds ahead of me while I was doing 70 mph over Talimena Skyline Drive in OK. I don't know if bears sh%t in the woods but I know what I do in that situation... [:@]

Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I almost hit a black bear on my BMW K1200LT years ago. It came shooting out of the underbrush at full tilt about 50 yrds ahead of me while I was doing 70 mph over Talimena Skyline Drive in OK. I don't know if bears sh%t in the woods but I know what I do in that situation... [:@]
Ahaahh, Did the bear leave a little mess for you out in the road too??

Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Here In Long Island we don't have to worry about Bears, rattlers, Gators, In the woods. All we have to worry about is the police on quads waiting to bust you. the police here have a special task force just to catch people riding in the woods.If they catch you they give you a fist full of tickets and impound you ride!!

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Quick Reply: bear