BB 331 install, head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
When you are done, I want to hear ALL about it, not what you did, but how the bike performs. Sitting on the edge of going big.,,,,,, Most of the money saved up.....

Bike is running awesome now, so I just keep riding it.

David Loving my KLX SF!
Do it! Its worth every penny. The bike was fun before the big bore and even then I was out running DRZ 400's with that awesome 6th gear. Now its just mean. You should see their face when that little 250 they paid no attention to spanks them!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
B58...first time going in this deep into a motorcycle engine?...it'll never run again.
LOL Thats what I was thinking when I rebuilt the top end on my dirt bike at 13 years old! I bet B58's will start up fine. May need a little jetting but no big issues.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
Do it! Its worth every penny. The bike was fun before the big bore and even then I was out running DRZ 400's with that awesome 6th gear. Now its just mean. You should see their face when that little 250 they paid no attention to spanks them!
LOL!...it's funny how I'll occasionally be riding with someone who doesn't really know me, and they will have been under the impression that I was riding a KLX400...the Suzuki clone model.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL!...it's funny how I'll occasionally be riding with someone who doesn't really know me, and they will have been under the impression that I was riding a KLX400...the Suzuki clone model.
I have a friend with that Kawazuki 400...it's one of the reasons I wanted to get a bigger bore in the bike. Nice riding bike, that 400! I FEEL like my 250 is lighter, but, don't know that to be a fact.

BTW, Bill said to try the 132 jet, and leave the needle where it was (second stage Dynojet setting). Hoping to get everything back together later today...so, we'll know soon if it will ever run again!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to TNC's warning about the bike never running again, I put footprints of a bloody chicken's foot on the cylinder, gas tank, top of the carb, and wedged the foot between the skidplate and the crankcase.

The bike turned over what seemed like 2.5 turns and fired up.

So far, my re-annealed copper oil line washers aren't leaking, the re-annealed exhaust gasket isn't leaking, the valve cover isn't leaking, and neither are the head and base gaskets leaking.

Went with a 132 main, because I couldn't find a 130 (I had a 128 in it). After running it a few minutes in my garage, with a couple of 30-second 4000 rpms runs, and a couple of bursts to about 5000 rpms, I shut it down and finished installing the seat and bodywork.

Then, I rode it around a few miles. Gently, with a few 1/2 throttle runs and some good, steep, downhill engine braking opportunities (I think it helps to seat the rings). Stopped to fill it up, let it cool down about 5 minutes, then ran it a couple more miles. ONCE I ran it full throttle in 4th gear for about 2 seconds. Dang. This bike is noticeably much more powerful. That settles it...I'm riding it on the Baker-Las Vegas run at the end of the month, instead of my 650. This bike won't have any trouble keeping up now.

Thanks to Bill for his excellent craftsmanship, as well as those that have posted "how to do its", and TNC for his unwavering non-support , now I am REALLY happy with the entire package.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
So far, my re-annealed copper oil line washers aren't leaking, the re-annealed exhaust gasket isn't leaking, the valve cover isn't leaking, and neither are the head and base gaskets leaking.
It's "not leaking" only because you forgot to re-fill the oil.... LOL!

--
Mikko

Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations! Yer a mekanik now!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Blackheart:

Been following your adventure into Bill's Big Bore land and i gotta say thanks for the reports. I picked up a '06 KLX250 less than 2 months ago. It's been a lotta fun, but you and the others nearly got me pressing Bill's 'buy it now' button already. Keep up the great reports. And I'll be saving a chicken's foot come next butcherin
Scott

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
It's "not leaking" only because you forgot to re-fill the oil.... LOL!

--
Mikko
Dag nab-it! I know'd I fergot sumpin!

BTW, the piston weighed in at a whopping 241 grams. I couldn't discern any difference in vibration, but, I have a pretty substantial anti-vibration mechanism in the bars...

Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
And I'll be saving a chicken's foot come next butcherin
Scott
i think it might be the key to having everything turn out OK, even if I didn't put any oil in it.

Quick Reply: BB 331 install, head gasket question