Barkbusters VS Acerbis & RMATV Disc Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
I have the Rally Pros and they have held up to some major beatings over the last 3 years. Next set of guards I get will have the ends that curve down so your hands exit directly off the sides of the bars if need be.
Makes a bit of sense. I am trying to think if that would be a disadvantage and at first I thought yeah you would lose front on inmpact protection that you need more but now the more I think about it haveing the aluminium bar a few degrees forward of strait down would probably work pretty well.

Do you know Mfr and Model of guards that have the bar going down?
Too late now as barkbusters are on the way but maybe someone else is looking and I would like to eyeball some.
Cheers Jim

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a bit late to the game here, but I recently bought a set of Fastway FIT universal mount hand guards. My Acerbis were always angled downwards so that my levers were out in the open and due to the hoses and cables all over my handlebars I couldn't adjust them so they would be flat/level. I bought some new Renthal bars and decided it was time to fix my droopy handguards.. The Fastway guards include new handlebar clamp caps that have threaded posts on them for mounting the guards. No more trying to get the handlbar clamps to fit on the bars, get the angle right etc.. Totally bombproof, easy to adjust, less clutter ony my bars. under $100, got em at the thumpertalk store. good product.

~Steve

Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Makes a bit of sense. I am trying to think if that would be a disadvantage and at first I thought yeah you would lose front on inmpact protection that you need more but now the more I think about it haveing the aluminium bar a few degrees forward of strait down would probably work pretty well.

Do you know Mfr and Model of guards that have the bar going down?
Too late now as barkbusters are on the way but maybe someone else is looking and I would like to eyeball some.
Cheers Jim
Jim, its not the front its the sides that curve down where they attach to the bar ends. Acerbis enduros, cycra pros have this.

Not that this is typical but, a guy I ride with lost the end of his finger because he couldn't get his hand out of the way quick enough and got caught. If he had the curved down versions this might have not happened.

Heres a pic of the cycras, couldn't find a good pic of the acerbis form the side but there the same thing.

http://www.btosports.com/Merchant2/g...YCRACOMPRO.jpg

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Now I am not sure if I understand how the downcurve saves the fingers. Does the downward curve contact sooner when the bike goes down so that if gives some clearence for the fingers or what I think you said was the downward curve lets you slide your hand off the end easier. But if the bike is going down on that side slideing it off the end might put it between the ground and the guard.
Guess I am going to have to put mine on and crash the bike until I understand
Cheers

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Guess I am going to have to put mine on and crash the bike until I understand
Cheers
Spoken like a true adventure guy !!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
Jim, its not the front its the sides that curve down where they attach to the bar ends. Acerbis enduros, cycra pros have this.

Not that this is typical but, a guy I ride with lost the end of his finger because he couldn't get his hand out of the way quick enough and got caught. If he had the curved down versions this might have not happened.

Heres a pic of the cycras, couldn't find a good pic of the acerbis form the side but there the same thing.

http://www.btosports.com/Merchant2/g...YCRACOMPRO.jpg
Barkbusters VPS are like his and they have more room between the bar and the guard than any other brand I've seen.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I figured there had to be some others that were doing it as well. On a plus side with them, sometimes with the rally pros my pinky finger will start to rub on the end. The curved down ones would stop this.

Only problem I see with the roomier barkbusters is tight woods, I already have my bars cut down to 29" and wouldn't want them be a whole lot wider. This is probably more personal prefrence.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

they are like 1" wider each side .... if that

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

around 2" extra width is gonna be PIA as my bike spends its off time in my "warehouse" at work. I have to work the bars thru the door as it is. I was expecting about 3/8" on either side.

No its not really a warehouse but thats what I use it for.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My fastway's have the dipped down side bend to them..