Baker 1.1 gallon Auxillary tank, 09KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Baker 1.1 gallon Auxillary tank, 09KLX250S

This tank basically completes the build on this bike. It's just what it needed to get the range up to 150 miles, even when riding fairly hard.

Assembly is straightforward, if you've two synapses that communicate. The one-way check-valve (optional, but, a good thing to have inline in case one of your two synapses short-circuits) requires a zip-tie on each end to snug it down in the fuel line, but, what's a Dual-sport without a few zip ties? A Garage Queen...that's what!

The tank hung tight with no discernable wiggling through miles of whoops, sand, rocks, and multiple hillclimbs (did I mention how much I love the Bill Blue 331 kit on hillclimbs?). It even withstood a downhill sand nap on the aux tank side following an unexpectedly high drop-off down a mountianside (hey, it was sand, steep, and I couldn't stop...so I had no choice at that point!). Due to the bike being upside down for a bit, I got a pretty big airlock in the line from the tank to the carb.

The "cure" for that much deadspace, which coincided with the tank being almost empty (therefore minimal hydrostatic pressure head provided by the fuel) is to turn ON the main petcock, which chopped the air lock in half, and run it for a couple of miles that way, then turn off the main petcock. Again, the one-way valve can complicate that series of steps, but, it prevents draining the main tank into the aux tank if you forget to cut off one of the petcocks. You know...in case the synapses mis-fire.

I got out on the highway and ran the tank until the bike sputtered. I'll have to fill it up now to see how much of the 1.1 gallons was used. There is still a little fuel left in the line...so, I shortened it when I got home. I may also shorten the line from the T below the main petcock to the carb, as there is now a little bit of a loop. Any extra line, or loops like this one, can exacerbate the effects of airlocks that will inevitably be found in the line.

Now, I know I can go at least 150 miles with the fuel in those two tanks, even when riding my 331 pretty hard.

I'm thrilled with this tank. I think it might be even better than putting an extra gallon up high on the bike. Besides, I need the extra range now, not "tomorrow"...especially when the definition of "tomorrow" is unknown for the 09's and 10's.

Thanks to BandBMoto, and my local suspension expert, I have a really great little dual-sport!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

Something about "This thread is worthless w/o pics" comes to mind...Cough 'em up.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cls
Something about "This thread is worthless w/o pics" comes to mind...Cough 'em up.
As a semi-luddite, that just hasn't been on the front burner. I'm out of town the next couple of days...maybe by Wednesday I'll have some pictures.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok we'll let it slide this time my friend...

Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

How are people dealing with re-locating the coolant catch tank? I might consider this aux tank if there is a clean solution for the coolant tank.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sanpedro
How are people dealing with re-locating the coolant catch tank? I might consider this aux tank if there is a clean solution for the coolant tank.
If you consider me "people", I'll tell you what I did. I used the "alternative" bottle that was supplied, and put it behind the left side radiator shroud...up high above the radiator. Put the line to the radiator to the bottle standpipe that has a tube which goes to the bottom of the bottle, and run the overflow line out the other standpipe, straight up, then loop it back down towards the ground. Zip ties hold it all in place...very well, I might add, as it held firm even when I turned the bike upside down and went through about 20 miles of whoops, and another 10 miles of hillclimbs/descents.

I know, I know...PICTURES! Maybe Wednesday!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the kind remarks!
Bill and I always knew the KLX250 had the makings of a great dual-sport and trailbike but, in our opinion, it had two shortcomings. It needed more power and especially low end torque, and it needs a better fuel range. We think our inventions addresses these issues and the result is a bike that can reach much of it's potential.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Now when you're running on nothing but the aux. tank and you're going up a long steep hill, does it starve for fuel?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Now when you're running on nothing but the aux. tank and you're going up a long steep hill, does it starve for fuel?
Don't know. Keeping the lines as short as possible, with no "loops", will minimize this possibility. My eyeball tells me the outlet of the tank is very close to the same height as the fuel inlet to the carb, so, the lower the pressure-head in the tank as it get closer to empty, the more likely this could occur.

However, if the bike did begin to sputter from fuel starvation, the fix is to simply reach down and turn the main petcock to "on" or "reserve" until you reach the top of the hill, then, turn it back to "off". The inline one-way valve will prevent fuel from the main tank from backfilling the aux tank.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

That is unless the main tank is already empty. Maybe one should bring a small syphon hose and an empty pop bottle along just in case.

Quick Reply: Baker 1.1 gallon Auxillary tank, 09KLX250S