Bad Noises!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Default Bad Noises!!

My bike has developed a bad clacking noise. It just starts out of nowhere. I can make it stop by speeding up or slowing down but it always comes back. It's loud enough that cars look at me funny while I sit at a light. Any suggestions? My warantee is up so anything I do will be here, not the shop. Could the KACR be sticking? I ride around about 5000 rpms, sometimes 7000 for short freeway trips. I have almost 5000 miles on her and checked and adjusted the valves last fall. VERY dissapointed in my new Kawi right now. Thanks.

Ryan

Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bad Noises!!

You can try to determine where it is is coming from by using a mechanic's stethoscope. You can improvise one by taking a long screwdriver and hold its handle to your ear and probe around by touching the tip to different parts of the engine.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

good luck man...... how do you think i feel.........

Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

might be a cam chain
good luck

Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your engine noises Ryan, I haven't been on this forum for a long time and when I saw your post it reminded me of my problems which started with a clanking noise in the top end. Turned out I had a loose bolt (maybe two) on the intake cam gear. Both bolts backed off and caused valve, cam and piston damage. Luckily, I was under warranty and Kawi took care of it.

You may have a different problem, but it can't hurt to pull the valve cover and check these bolts, while you're in there take a look at your KACR and cam chain tensioner.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on that. Especially since it goes away with accel/decel. I'd probably do it before riding again.

ORIGINAL: sullydirt

Sorry to hear about your engine noises Ryan, I haven't been on this forum for a long time and when I saw your post it reminded me of my problems which started with a clanking noise in the top end. Turned out I had a loose bolt (maybe two) on the intake cam gear. Both bolts backed off and caused valve, cam and piston damage. Luckily, I was under warranty and Kawi took care of it.

You may have a different problem, but it can't hurt to pull the valve cover and check these bolts, while you're in there take a look at your KACR and cam chain tensioner.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

?? Think drive chain slack??
Check when you're on and off the bike. The chain may loosen more when you're on the bike.
CarlB

Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote from Ginsu's post: "cars look at me funny while I sit at a light."

I think that pretty much rules-out a drive chain.

ORIGINAL: CarlB

?? Think drive chain slack??
Check when you're on and off the bike. The chain may loosen more when you're on the bike.
CarlB

Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I had an XS850 that had a rattle under accel / deaccel it turned out to be a broken cam tensioner, get it fixed quick, mine drilled it's way through the crankcase and dropped the engine oil onto the ground.
Cheers

Old 06-02-2007, 02:51 PM

I wont ride again until I look. It does sound like something is loose. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what i find when I pull it apart. I did the valves myself and those bolts didnt take much to tighten. I used a good torgue wrench and tightened them to Kawi specs but it just seemed like it was not tight enough. I REALLY hope nothing is broken.

It's not the chain, for sure. Thats a whole different noise.

Quick Reply: Bad Noises!!