Bad day, exhaust mess

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Bad day, exhaust mess

Not the best day for me. I decided to mod my stock exhaust and things didn't go well. In the end I couldn't weld the tube I bought back in very well with my equipment. It looks cobbled and I am dissapointed.

So I have 3 options. Buy an aftermarket exhaust I cannot afford. Find some sort of bolt on end for the stock exhaust. Or lastly buy another stock exhaust. Any ideas on the bolt on endplate? I know I have seen them, but can't find any. Anyone want to part with the back half of the stock one?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bad day, exhaust mess

Sorry to hear it, adaycj. Another option is to look for a KLX300 stock pipe - you should be able to pick one up used, and it might actually be better performing than the stock KLX250S exhaust. Just a thought - good luck!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 AM

here's one on ebay for $4.99 +shipping from california,and the auction ends in less than a day.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-22-2006, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adaycj

Not the best day for me. I decided to mod my stock exhaust and things didn't go well. In the end I couldn't weld the tube I bought back in very well with my equipment. It looks cobbled and I am dissapointed.

So I have 3 options. Buy an aftermarket exhaust I cannot afford. Find some sort of bolt on end for the stock exhaust. Or lastly buy another stock exhaust. Any ideas on the bolt on endplate? I know I have seen them, but can't find any. Anyone want to part with the back half of the stock one?
Hey adaycj! I got my Big Gun Saturday and got it on, so if you would like my modified stock exhaust you are welcome to it. The only thing that I would ask is that you pay the UPS charges. Let me know if you want it. foremost@wireless111.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/1904/8E1D9911A78748A5893EA6F3758C8A13.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

that's a great deal as I've heard that the KLX 300 muffler actually makes great power with the end cap removed, or butt plug. it's the header pipe that's crap, just like ours. Our muffler has a catalytic converter in it, the 300 does not. Buy that pipe/header, ditch the header. Then, buy a fourstrokeworks.com header for $140 or so and have yourself a great exhaust. Remove the end plug to get the power plus the header pipe works wonders too.
OK I need an answer to this as it has come up before. Is everyone calling the pipe from the motor the header pipe? If so I still have to disagree that it is the main reason for the lack of potential power. The culprit has to be the converter and the end of the pipe at the back of the bike. That's where the exhaust is being trapped. Please someone convince me otherwise. Be nice, I'm a noob getting back into the dirt, (dry dirt-no mud) Maybe a diagram of what each part is called and what to get rid of besides the whole thing.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 AM

i don't really know how to explain it because i'm not an engineer,but i did stay at a holidy inn last night,but i'll try.
true the muffler is where everything is "backed up" or restricted but how the gasses exit the cylinder is very important.take a look at fmf's website for example,and look at one of their powerbomb headers.their unique in that they have a small chamber in them to improve gas flow.header pipe diameter and bend and length have alot to do with the scavaging of gasses out of the cylinder.i guess what i'm trying to say is a well designed header will create a "vortex"(wish i could think of a better word to put there)and pull the gasses out of the cylinder instead of having to be pushed out.less load and friction for the moving parts inside the motor.that's why a slip on is so much cheaper than a full system.more r&d goes into the header,that's why it cost's $100-$150 for a small piece of bent pipe and a flange.aftermarket header's add alot to the torque curve,better low end.also a shorter muffler will also net more low to mid gain over a full size or longer muffler.i have a tc full system on a yamaha 450 and it's amazing(although very loud--120db+).you can actually tell the difference with that pipe versus another aftermarket pipe when you ride,don't need a dyno to tell you you've got stump pulling torque.you feel it.
sorry for the long post and i'll stop rambling on now.hope this helped to explain it.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:06 AM

Do what I did and buy an exhaust system you cant afford. You will be alot happier. Just charge it and get it over with.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 AM

ORIGINAL: 954ken

Do what I did and buy an exhaust system you cant afford. You will be alot happier. Just charge it and get it over with.

HAHA we must think alike

Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That Big Gun sure looks sweet. The more I look at it the more I like it. BTW VFRpilot, is that your garage?!?!

Quick Reply: Bad day, exhaust mess