Backfiring when shifting with 1/4 throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

What will I need to adjust to keep the insulator as is and lessen the blackness of the electrode and bottom surface?

Do you guys agree that I'm rich? How rich? Slightly, just rich, or very rich?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Drop the needle down 1 notch.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

before moving the clip up one to lean....did you turn the a/f screw in little by little to adjust it first?....

Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

After reading all these posts I'm getting more confused. I thought the popping was a symptom of running a little too lean. But looking at the spark-plugs tells me he's running rich. What am I missing here?

MauiBoy, is there soot at the rear of your slip-on?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Brieninsac;481930].... What am I missing here? [QUOTE]

Where the popping is taking place...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

think lean pop is when the engine is popping and stuttering at idle when i start turning in the a/f screw while the engine is running...the loud pop and backfire from the muffler is running really rich...

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
After reading all these posts I'm getting more confused. I thought the popping was a symptom of running a little too lean. But looking at the spark-plugs tells me he's running rich. What am I missing here?

MauiBoy, is there soot at the rear of your slip-on?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, that makes sense. I get a little popping on deceleration which I understand is fairly common. When I adjusted my a/f screw to minimize the decel popping I started to get soot built-up on my exhaust. So I adjusted to lean it up a bit and no more soot just a little decel popping. Which now I kinda like. LOL

Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been leaning out the fuel screw little by little and it's getter a little better. Once I get it to as little popping as possible I'll pull the plug and adjust from there. Now I don't get the one backfire when pulling in the clutch but do get subtle pops when letting off throttle completely from high rpms (doesn't pop as soon as letting off but rather a second later)

Also, no black soot at the end of the slip on.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I have exactly the same problem as you describing. Talked to a mechanic (active MX racer) and told me after taking bike for a quick spin that most likely I either don't have a vacuum hole drilled in the slide or the hole is too small.

To prove it, he suggested that I fit the snorkel back. It would not cure the problem completely, but if popping and backfiring slows down the vaccuum slide hole could be most likely culprit.

I did as advised, re-fitted snorkel back - could not make bike backfire, popping is still there, but only at throttle fully closed, rather than from 1/4 to closed position.

I did play with fuel screw, no difference for me. It was (and now is) at 2.5 turns out.

Next weekend I'll have a look at the slide.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the 2152 DJ kit so instead of drilling the slide hole I just replaced the spring, which effectively does the same thing. It's getting a lot better now since playing with the fuel screw. No more backfiring but still a little popping going downhill at fully closed throttle.

I assume it's normal to pop a little especially going downhill due to the engine slowing the bike down a lot more than a straight. Any comments?

Originally Posted by Sharan
I have exactly the same problem as you describing. Talked to a mechanic (active MX racer) and told me after taking bike for a quick spin that most likely I either don't have a vacuum hole drilled in the slide or the hole is too small.

To prove it, he suggested that I fit the snorkel back. It would not cure the problem completely, but if popping and backfiring slows down the vaccuum slide hole could be most likely culprit.

I did as advised, re-fitted snorkel back - could not make bike backfire, popping is still there, but only at throttle fully closed, rather than from 1/4 to closed position.

I did play with fuel screw, no difference for me. It was (and now is) at 2.5 turns out.

Next weekend I'll have a look at the slide.

Quick Reply: Backfiring when shifting with 1/4 throttle