Backfire Screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Backfire Screen

Doing the basic mods. Replacing the stock filter with a K&N and removing the backfire screen. Right now I have 3 of the 4hex nutsout of the screen. The bottom nut is avoiding me. I've been at it a while now and getting flustered.[:@] Ya, flustered will work. Wondering if there is a special tool I should be concidering? The only thing that comes to mind is a axe.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Backfire Screen

I know what you mean, when I did mine I pulled the entire airbox, which made it easier to get the screen out.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I am considering the K&N air filter too. Therefore, I'm interested in the installation procedure. Does the backfire screen need to be removed? Is the backfire screen #13280 in this diagram? Thanks. Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/4100/D66C6833991E4A47B71B5FDA74332746.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

No. The backfire screen does not need to be removed. But if you do, you will gain some power. I have read as much as 1.5 HP. No again. That is not the screen in your attachment. That was part of the filter. The backfire screen is attached to the air box. And the air filter attaches to it with one bolt. The reason I want to remove this and then cut out the screen is to avoid bits and pieces of the screen from breaking loose and entering the carburetor.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fishfinder

No. The backfire screen does not need to be removed. But if you do, you will gain some power. I have read as much as 1.5 HP. No again. That is not the screen in your attachment. That was part of the filter. The backfire screen is attached to the air box. And the air filter attaches to it with one bolt. The reason I want to remove this and then cut out the screen is to avoid bits and pieces of the screen from breaking loose and entering the carburetor.
Fish finder. I've had mine out several times, using a 1/4" drive ratchet extension and U-joint. You wontget all the nuts out without a U-joint. Prove me wrong and you are a God!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I know this question has been argued historically, but, it seems more and more people are doing this mod (removal of screen), and I'm wondering about peoples experiences.

Has anyone experienced the highly unwanted "burning bike" or "fireball under the backside" that is a suggested possibility of running without the screen? Are there good, safe, work arounds to make this not happen? Must you install a K&N, or some other fire retardant filter? Is the fireball out the carb actually a very rare occurance and probably not worth worrying about?

I like the sound of gaining another horse and some change, but not if it means my backside could be lit up as a result.... :[&:]

Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

While researching backfire-proof air filters, I ran across a couple references to race track rules that require a screen or some other type of fire protection, so apparently it has happened enough to do something about it. On the other hand, race machines might be more prone to backfiring than our machine.

I've never heard my bike backfire, even with my jetting way to rich and way too lean, but I went with a TwinAir backfire filter anyway. (I just have to get around to installing it.)

My view is that Kawasaki (and most product manufacturers) will do whatever it takes to keep themselves out of a law suit, whether it improves the product or not (e.g. all the safety and warning stickers that I pealed off on Day 1).

Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

OK I was able to get the 4 nuts off and remove the backfire screen without removing the air box. Not a easy project with these fat fingers. After removing the screen, getting the frame bolted back in was just as much fun. And let me mention that the K&N KA-1287 is a press fit to install in the air box. Hope it gets easier after the first cleaning. Enough whining. Tomorrow I try to remove the Smog Stuff.
Another question.... I reset the suspension settings. From what I could find on these forms and Dirtbike TV, factory settings for the forks is 8 clicks. For a 185 lb guy, recommended setting is 4 clicks as a starting point. Rear shock compression (top adj) is 14 and I changed that to 6. Rebound (lower adj) is 9, I could not find any info on this change but I put it at 6 also. Anyone have some input on the rebound setting?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Can you give a part number on the twin air? Also, is the part number above the recommended for K&N? I just bought a new Uni at the end of summer, but at some point, would like to look at removal of the all too restrictive backfire screen, provided it appears safe (which it seems to be, potentially).

Thanks for info!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno about the rebound and compression clicks, but did you set the sag first?

ORIGINAL: Fishfinder

OK I was able to get the 4 nuts off and remove the backfire screen without removing the air box. Not a easy project with these fat fingers. After removing the screen, getting the frame bolted back in was just as much fun. And let me mention that the K&N KA-1287 is a press fit to install in the air box. Hope it gets easier after the first cleaning. Enough whining. Tomorrow I try to remove the Smog Stuff.
Another question.... I reset the suspension settings. From what I could find on these forms and Dirtbike TV, factory settings for the forks is 8 clicks. For a 185 lb guy, recommended setting is 4 clicks as a starting point. Rear shock compression (top adj) is 14 and I changed that to 6. Rebound (lower adj) is 9, I could not find any info on this change but I put it at 6 also. Anyone have some input on the rebound setting?

Quick Reply: Backfire Screen