Back tire up front?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Are you kidding, I run a terraflex rear and a nasty **** up front on my ktm 640 ... nuthin wrong with weird, just gotta pay attention....besides it is necessary for sugar sand.

No biggie....if I can do at it at high speed on slab any fool can.
I agree with the sand thing. It was the trick to put a 4.00 trials pattern on the front of desert sleds back in the 60s and 70s, although most Dakar and desert bikes now run the 21, maybe with a 3.25 knobbie though.

As for the slab - I'm talking about actually taking a serious corner with one. You ain't gonna be playing supermoto with that on the front. That is the only point I was making. Fact is you can ride on the rims if you're careful enough.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mandark
The whole point of getting these dirt tires is for an upcoming trip where I want to do a little "light" off-roading with the WRX.

I still have a KLX250S for on-road duties and more serious off-roading.

After the trip is over, it's back to the street tires
If it's actually "light" off roading, I've had friends do it with standard street tires on dual sport rides in West Virginia. In fact this guy went everywhere we did on a Blast with half worn street tires - he waited too long to buy a bike for the trip and the Blast was the best he could come up with at that point. He's since gotten a WR250 dual sport:

The Buell was sold when he got back so he had to be a bit careful going over logs and rocks, but the muffler was a surprisingly good bash plate. He went everywhere we did with a half worn street tire. Of course it was low enough to paddle as needed. Still, amazing. I can never quite see the Blast in the same light as I once did and most still do. When you've seen one roosting a pea gravel road at about 40 mph in a nice flat track drift... it just changes things.

If you want style points do what you will, but I will tell you if you want a good tire for both the "light" off road use, yet still get your money out of it go get the Distanzia. Otherwise, have at it. I was simply giving information you what you asked about.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
LOVE IT!!!
Better than staying home.
Dan

Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
LOVE IT!!!
Better than staying home.
Dan
Yeah, I understand he did an XS650 one year! He finally broke down and bought the WR250 dual sport. He has his Sportster to pick up women, the only reason he has one - he's obviously single - according to him it works quite well. I don't get to go with them to WV this year. They're doing the first weekend in June, including Friday, and I'm still teaching...

Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Check this guy's youtube channel. He's got about 4-5 thousand miles on his 17" knobbies and swears by them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rydnseek

If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

If you guys ever find yourself over on the WR250 forum, performing recon or whatever, read this guys ride reports. That ****er should get a prize or something because they're all great. Rydnseek is his handle. he does some of the best trips ever. I forgot to mention...he almost always rides with like three other guys who have a WR, a BRP, and a KLX

2 wr's battle a klx in a rugged cross country enduro ride..
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/ad...ride-t1669.htm

Last edited by mandark; 04-04-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the sand thing. It was the trick to put a 4.00 trials pattern on the front of desert sleds back in the 60s and 70s, although most Dakar and desert bikes now run the 21, maybe with a 3.25 knobbie though.

As for the slab - I'm talking about actually taking a serious corner with one. You ain't gonna be playing supermoto with that on the front. That is the only point I was making. Fact is you can ride on the rims if you're careful enough.

2 things...

1 - I own and ride a KLX250S. Speed is not my main concern, LOL.

2 - This video is with MT21s front & back on oak creek canyon. This is about the speed I ride at these days. Looks like they're working fine to me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHcqI3OExPs

Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

There're guys who ride Buell Blasts and swear by them too...

and obviously you screwed up buying an SM.

I chase guys around on SMs with this tire set:

Not to mention riding those woods trails like the shots in WV. That was me letting some air out of the front tire in that one shot. Dropped them to about 18 psi.

That guy riding the wide open dirt roads like that could do it on about anything... like half worn out street tires like those on the Blast.

I guess the question asked originally wasn't really a question now was it. And I shouldn't have answered it either, should I.

Last edited by klx678; 04-04-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

There're guys who ride Buell Blasts and swear by them too...

and obviously you screwed up buying an SM.

I chase guys around on SMs with this tire set:

Not to mention riding those woods trails like the shots in WV. That was me letting some air out of the front tire in that one shot. Dropped them to about 18 psi.

That guy riding the wide open dirt roads like that could do it on about anything... like half worn out street tires like those on the Blast.

I guess the question asked originally wasn't really a question now was it. And I shouldn't have answered it either, should I.
You just don't get it so if you got nothing but smart *** remarks to make, shut the **** up

Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Watching this thread.....

Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Watching this thread.....
ummm ok

roflmao

Quick Reply: Back tire up front?!