back to the shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: back to the shop

well if that gear isnt the problem on my bike, i can see it being in the shop for while too... he was supposed to have torn down the engine the rest of the way today and placed the parts order... we will see whats up when he gets his parts...

Old 11-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey EMS - you ought to see if they will let you into the mechanic area and get some good hi-res photographs of all the nooks and crannies of the engine, CSI - style! That's be a great supplement to these dry, service diagrams that are sometimes hard to wrap ones brain around.

I generally try to photograph stuff when I have it apart, not knowing when I might want to refer to it later, which is exactly how I happened to have a photo of that gear. Of course, if I'd known beforehand that it was going to have some issues surrounding it, I would have got some better pictures.

So as a general call to anyone digging into their engine or other areas that don't often see the light of day, please take a lot of pictures - it's only a little bit of hard disk space and can be a great reference later.

Case in point - I happened to photograph my 331cc piston installed in my cylinder before I had put the head on. Later, after the head was on and it was all bolted up and torqued down, but before I had actually started it for the first time, I began second guessing myself about whether I had installed the piston in the correct direction - there is a forward and backward direciton to the piston. Well, all I had to do was to refer to the photograph which put my mind at ease - I did install it correctly, I shouldn't have 2nd guessed myself, but I did have the proof and that put my paranoid mind to rest

But even beyond cases like that, having those photos can be real handy like in the "split gear" case above.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I was reading a KLX650 thread on ADVRider and noticed this issue about the KCR, if it's known with the 650 crowd maybe who knows it's a problem with the 250?

Auto compression release is not really a problem. You just need to make sure the little spring doesn't get snookered when adjusting valves and such. It is the same concept as a centrifugal advance unit in an old distributor.

here is the link

Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I not sure if this is in accordance with sound engineering & design principles, but I think I've found a tool that will determine if you are susceptible to KACR problems:

Engine Failure Prediction Tool

I don't think many mechanics use it professionally, but compared to some mechanics I've dealt with, it couldn't be any worse!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 PM

I consult mine regularly!

[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well i called to see if the mechanic found any more surprises... he said hes just waiting on parts now... but he did say that the gear was split... so maybe it did seperate... and he said that there is springs that put a preload on that gear and a spring was missing from my bike... so maybe the missing spring was letting that gear flop around.....

im so mad that is 64 degrees and sunny......i wish it was raining.....[>:]

Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

cheer up mate!! progress is happening you'll be riding in no time. and atleast this is giving time to get some whoring in.......lol

Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

And at least it was caught before it could do more damage ...

Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i just really hope once he gets the parts and gets it all back together.... that the problem is fixed..... im hoping that he did find the problem.... if not... im gonna seriously ask for a new motor.... and i hope once i get it back that there is at least one day i can take it for a ride.... [>:][]

Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 AM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

.... and i hope once i get it back that there is at least one day i can take it for a ride.... [>:][]

There's alwyas "Tour de Apalachicola" in January!

Quick Reply: back to the shop