Back to the basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Default Back to the basics

Hello all! Just thought I would share my experience in the quest for the perfect stable of bikes. A little background first..hope you like to read..lol.. I started biking at age 11, when my father scooped up a clapped out xr80 with no compression at a local garage sale for 75 bucks. I bought a service manual, and got busy. Tore it down, sent the head and cylinder in for rebuild/hone, cleaned the crusties out of the carb, new gaskets, bearings, tires etc etc.. Reassembled according to manual, and it fired on the second kick. From that single point in time, my life took a drastic turn. I was now going to be a mechanic, and addicted to bikes. Now at age 32, just picked up a leftover 2010 klx250s, which is the 34th bike owned thus far. I have been through all sorts of machines, from harleys, to gixxers, cx500s to cb900s, and drz400s to xr250s. I finally think I have the bikes I have been looking for, and I am quite surprised that a little 250 could be so versatile, fun, and capable. I recently sold an 08 gsxr1000, and was looking for a small, lightweight commuter/weekend dickoff bike, and having owned a bunch of them in the past, my demands for this bike were high. I wanted a dual sport for sure, but was unhappy with the previous ones I had for different reasons (xr250l, xl600r, drz400s, xr650l, klr, and the dl650 which i still have). This klx has literally changed my perception of fun. I love the fact it has no *****, is whisper quiet, and undersprung for my 215 pounds. I know i am preaching to the choir here, as you all likely have one, but I cant say enough about how much i like this bike. With so many of my years tied up in horsepower wars, ounces of weight, anodized bling, and stat sheets, it feels like a breath of fresh air blown on my motorcycling experience just to throw a leg over this fantastic little bike. Thanks for reading, and great forum here!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your 34th bike. LOL more than one a year. Nice! The little KLX has quite a few advantages, one of them is when you go to insure it. Dirt cheap.
It is a great bike the way it is, but it really has potential if you want to go and add the exhaust and 351 kit. Great bike that can be left alone or adapted to many needs. I think it's a winner too.
Lots you guys up in WA, unless your down in WA (western Australia) where there are quite a few KLXers too.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Congrats on your 34th bike. LOL more than one a year. Nice! The little KLX has quite a few advantages, one of them is when you go to insure it. Dirt cheap.
It is a great bike the way it is, but it really has potential if you want to go and add the exhaust and 351 kit. Great bike that can be left alone or adapted to many needs. I think it's a winner too.
Lots you guys up in WA, unless your down in WA (western Australia) where there are quite a few KLXers too.
Welcome Snizz! Im a big car guy myself, I lost count on how many cars I've owned, some where around 35-40 lol ! And btw, Dan is completely correct!! I just bought a klx250sf (first street legal bike). Stock it was like a stealthy ninja in training ... I bolted on my new Big Gun Evo R, jets and free mods. Now, its loud, reasonably fast, easily pulls the tire up lol. The only thing ninja like about it now is all black.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the forums, and of course the best bike ever!!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry I missed another important point...another Washington rider!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by dan888
Ya know, I never even thought about insurance rates for this thing before I bought it, our state(WA) doesnt require it on motorcycles, and I usually dont insure my bikes unless i commute them often. I will be making a call today in fact to get some coverage on her, I am hoping to be surprised by how cheap it is..lol. Thanks for the replies, and tips!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Full coverage for $65/yr for me.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome fellow Warshingtonian. I pay significantly more than Dan for full coverage despite a spotless driving record. My problem must be State Farm.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Called progressive this morning, $86.00 per year full coverage, which is dirt cheap compared to the GSXR1000..lol.. I have a spotless record, and quotes for that thing exceeded $1500 per year!! The benefits of a cheap/slow bike I guess..

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry Ins.

I was just down at the local bike shop and was bitc ah talking ins with the sales lady. I have full on 4 bikes and she told me to try her ins person. I will see how it goes and if I do good will post it up.

Quick Reply: Back to the basics