Aus spec carb slide has 5 holes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Aus spec carb slide has 5 holes!

My Aus spec carb had the 3 holes toward the cylinder too - I only filled the pair at the top. I don't know if this is correct or not, but that's what I did. I'd love to see other responses from people detailing how their slides look.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I've just finished filling the holes. I filled all 3 toward the cylinder. Drilled the vent hole to 7/64" as well.
Can't see any reason for the 3rd hole, so I filled it along with the other 2 on the cylinder part of the slide.
I'll put it back together tommorow. See if it goes like it's [sm=nxsmile.gif]
ORIGINAL: kbekus

My Aus spec carb had the 3 holes toward the cylinder too - I only filled the pair at the top. I don't know if this is correct or not, but that's what I did. I'd love to see other responses from people detailing how their slides look.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 AM

Had a first service so its time to play.

I've just had my 07 apart and blocked all the holes on the side of the slide (right angles to the needle). I used five minute araldite. put everything back together after an hour as i was worried the diaphram would expand.

i gave it the qiuck test. even cold engine and in the house yard i can notice a difference. the revs seem a heck of a lot free-er. I can't wait till tomorrow morning. i'll give that araldite some hell. apart from that my bike is stock with 1020klms.

good to see some other Aussies also

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Put mine back together this arvo. Revs a lot cleaner and feels like it has more snap. Lofted the front in the driveway[sm=yikesomg.gif]. Noticeable increase in noise from the stock pipe and a deeper note. Must have filled the right holes.
Just waiting for my full Big Gun system and then I'll do the carb jet mods and junk the airbox lid and fit Twin Air/Uni Filter.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: WestOzKLX

Put mine back together this arvo. Revs a lot cleaner and feels like it has more snap. Lofted the front in the driveway[sm=yikesomg.gif]. Noticeable increase in noise from the stock pipe and a deeper note. Must have filled the right holes.
Just waiting for my full Big Gun system and then I'll do the carb jet mods and junk the airbox lid and fit Twin Air/Uni Filter.[sm=smiley20.gif]
WestOz, its been 6-7 wks since your mods to the carbie slideand I was wondering how its performance improved in the dirt and on the bitumen and how it impacted on ease of starting, fuel consumption and operating temp. Also. whetherthe jets had to be adjusted much? Would there have been much of a change in back pressure in the exhaust? And how does it go now with the BG, jet, airbox and filter mods? I am thinking of putting a 300cc kit into my klx250R - soon as warranty runs out in June. Presumably I should do that (ie the 300cc kit) before I do anything else - or is it ok to go ahead and do the carbie slide mods first?
Appreciate all views from all readers but pls note I am located on east coast of Oz so some rejetting specs/mods would not be suitable given I have a 2007 klx250R.
Noel

Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally got a 2 Brothers M7 pipe, not the Big GunI mentioned in the earlier post. The bike runs great with the new pipe, it's jetted accordingly. Night and day change inperformance since I fitted the pipe.
I get about 180 km to reserve on the new jetting.
Bike runs a little cooler than the OE set up, I think due to the higher flow in the pipe.
You can do the carb' slide mods now, no need to wait for the 300 kit.
I posted a fair bit of info on the OZ mods. Search this forum using 'WestOzKLX' in the search field.
If you want any more detailed info don't hesitate to PM me.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Finally got a 2 Brothers M7 pipe, not the Big GunI mentioned in the earlier post. The bike runs great with the new pipe, it's jetted accordingly. Night and day change inperformance since I fitted the pipe.
Bike runs a little cooler than the OE set up, I think due to the higher flow in the pipe.
I posted a fair bit of info on the OZ mods. Search this forum using 'WestOzKLX' in the search field.
Thks WestOzKLX, I have decided to defer upgrading to 300cc kit at this stage, but will proceed shortly to do the carb slide mods with rejetting, air intakeand get a big exhaust - possibly the FMH slip on with which you will be familiar.I have another couple of questions and would welcome input from all sources.
From the 'exhaustive' reading I have done it would seem I could possibly get an extra 2+ hp out of the bike with the above basic mods to carb etc. I currently have a 13/35T sprocket mix on the bike but want to replace the 13T with a 14T to give me a more comfortable cruising speed on the bitumen (to keep up with my mates on their road bikes). However, I don't want to lose any of the low and 2nd gear gruntfor dirt and trails which I am used to in the stock standard bike.I am hopeful that overallthe bike would have much the same (at least) grunt - or are my expectations too high? I dont necessarily want any more torque but just not to lose any. I don't work the bike hard. I could go to a 33T rear cog instead but they are not as cheap as thefront cog.
Also, I understand that removing the airbox lid increases the risk of fire if there is a backfire. How serious is that risk? I haven't come across to much comment on it in the threads on this site. Rather than remove the wholelid is there any value in simply drilling a few/several 2cm holes in the lid to at lest partially improve breathing?

Appreciate all input.
Noel

Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NoelKLX

Also, I understand that removing the airbox lid increases the risk of fire if there is a backfire. How serious is that risk? I haven't come across to much comment on it in the threads on this site. Rather than remove the wholelid is there any value in simply drilling a few/several 2cm holes in the lid to at lest partially improve breathing?

Appreciate all input.
Noel
I think you are confusing the 'lid' with the 'backfire screen.' Removing the air boxlid will not increase the risk of fire. Removing the backfire screen (screenunderneath your air filter)will.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Appreciate all input.
Noel
I think you are confusing the 'lid' with the 'backfire screen.' Removing the air boxlid will not increase the risk of fire. Removing the backfire screen (screenunderneath your air filter)will.
Thanks Tremor 38. That's one question out of the road. I find I learn a lot when I am prepared to put my foot in my mouth!
Noel

Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Thks WestOzKLX, I have decided to defer upgrading to 300cc kit at this stage, but will proceed shortly to do the carb slide mods with rejetting, air intakeand get a big exhaust - possibly the FMH slip on with which you will be familiar.I have another couple of questions and would welcome input from all sources.
From the 'exhaustive' reading I have done it would seem I could possibly get an extra 2+ hp out of the bike with the above basic mods to carb etc. I currently have a 13/35T sprocket mix on the bike but want to replace the 13T with a 14T to give me a more comfortable cruising speed on the bitumen (to keep up with my mates on their road bikes). However, I don't want to lose any of the low and 2nd gear gruntfor dirt and trails which I am used to in the stock standard bike.I am hopeful that overallthe bike would have much the same (at least) grunt - or are my expectations too high? I dont necessarily want any more torque but just not to lose any. I don't work the bike hard. I could go to a 33T rear cog instead but they are not as cheap as thefront cog.

Appreciate all input.
Noel
Yes, I am replying to my own post!! I am told that the front cog should already be 14t if it is standard. Let me check tomorrow and get back with correct figure. Must be getting old! Apologies.

Quick Reply: Aus spec carb slide has 5 holes!