ATTN: California brothers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ATTN: California brothers

I know there's at least two of you that have imported a KLX250S into CA here on this board. I would like one of you to consider helping out with a project:

IMS, maker of aftermarket fuel tanks, is interested in seeing a KLX250S to determine the feasibility of offering a tank that fits with fewer mods than the one currently sold for the KLX300. As you know, Brian and I have installed the current tank but it requires a few changes to the bike to make it fit.

IMS is located in Riverside County near the junction of the 215/60 freeway, close to Raceway Ford. If you might be willing to go by there, let me know.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Default RE: ATTN: California brothers

Sure, I would be willing to help... I live in LA which is only about 45 minutes away if traffic is good.

Fred

Old 04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Good on ya Fred! I'll let you know when I get things sorted out with IMS and maybe we can arrange a visit.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gouref

Sure, I would be willing to help... I live in LA which is only about 45 minutes away if traffic is good.

Fred
Hip hip hooray for Fred.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:08 AM

yeah thanks fred, thats a little too far of a ride for me and im trying to stay off the freeways for now until i get a little more familiar with the bike. i will say this though, the difference between the fullface with the flip up visor and the mx helmet is immense. the street helmet gives u a sense of protection and aerodynamics that the mx helmet cant achieve. i can actually turn my head to look behind me without having my neck snapped by the wind at high speed...70mph. things are quieter in there too which is nice. so far the bike is running flawlessly and i have had no problems, i rode her to work today for the first time 40miles round trip. i did the math too, my suv will get me 250 miles for $48.00 worth of gas, on the klx its $16.00 for 250 miles. plus its more fun to ride than drive. win-win situation. ok all take care and keep the updates coming.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 AM

Oh, drool. I've been hoping to hear about a bigger tank without the major bodywork. Thanks for doing this!

Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 AM

Two gods of the KLX world - bmwhd and gouref. If they can manufacture a tank with less hastle...i'll be buying shares to say the least. Good on you guys. Keep us posted.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: CALISAKI

i will say this though, the difference between the fullface with the flip up visor and the mx helmet is immense. the street helmet gives u a sense of protection and aerodynamics that the mx helmet cant achieve. i can actually turn my head to look behind me without having my neck snapped by the wind at high speed...70mph. things are quieter in there too which is nice.
I agree with you %100, If I have to ride on a road more then 15 minutes, it will definatley be with a full faced helmet, won't think twice about it. There is a constant roaring with the mx helmet, the mentioned snap of the neck and the wind always trying to pull your head off your neck. When your wearing a MX helmet it actually amplifies the wind abuse that you think your getting with all the noise and with it pulling your head all around. With the Full faced hemlmet I am alot more confident on the street and the wind abuse on the bike seems to have gone down 3 fold, when I say wind abuse I mean wind nailing you and affecting your steering.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope the guys at IMS read this post. There are gobs of guys in the States (and over here in Japan) who will purchase tanks for the KLX 250S (KLX 250H over here) and easily make it worth IMS's while to re-fit the design.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navyman

Oh, drool. I've been hoping to hear about a bigger tank without the major bodywork. Thanks for doing this!
Well, no promises but there is hope. We'll see what develops. Also, the Acerbis distributor claims that a few more of their tanks may make it to the US this month. That tank may require fewer mods.

Another point to ponder is tank size. The current IMS offering is 3.2 gal. If they make one to fit the 250S without mods, it likely will be somewhat smaller because of the stock fan. Also, I can't imagine any solution that will avoid having to re-route the two wire bundles directly below the tank (but that's really not a big job).

Quick Reply: ATTN: California brothers