Arvo ride out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Arvo ride out.

Well the sun was out again today, I had an hour to spare (not to be sniffed at with a 6 month old princess), so I decided a small ride north of the city was in order. All my ride buddies were working so nothing too serious was in order. A nice ride in the country.
Took a turning the off Wanneroo Road I'd eyed up on more than one occasion while heading to Lancelin for the big surf. It turned out to be a dead end with a dirt loop of about 7KM. Perfect. Took it easy the first time (I am a father,) and had a ball on the mix of hardpack, sand, and clay with a few rocks thrown in for good measure.

Took a time out and had some Monster Energy.
Now it's on. The first section was a 3 km section of up and down fire trail. I pulled the trigger and found myself approaching the last crest at 100 clicks.
HOLY SHEEEEEEET!
One pair of freshly soiled underwear.
Seriously though, I thought I wasn't going to pull up in time and perform my very own unique impression of "The Man" at Snake Canyon, minus the Rocket cycle. The OE brakes do work thankfully, and I was spared all the media attention that goes with becoming the newest Crusty Demon. Sigh!

The said crest is in the background.

Took it easier again on the 3rd loop despite some goading from a 6 year old from the local farm. He took a photo and was rewarded with more "Monster Energy. As if he needed it!

It was a great way to spend a winters day. YES, it was winter. 20oC with plenty of blue sky. Ahhhh! I love AUS.

Well the day didn't appear to be over just yet. On the way home I was treated to some of the best stunt driving I've ever seen in the southern hemisphere. Yeah man! This guy passes me on the outside (me minding my own business, cruising the inside at 70,) we're approaching the lights, they switch to red, he brakes hard, really f@#in' hard, get's waaayyyyy out of shape, then, what a complete KOOK, tries to execute a left turn at about 70 clicks. Oh yeah! Grandstand view, he's only 100 feet in front of me. The photo says it all. He clipped the curb on the inside and rolled that baby onto her side.
"Dude, it was like, way like, you know man, way slow motion man. Trippy." (Quote from a grommet who also witnessed the carnage.)
The guy was out of the cab in a flash, not a scratch on him. Lucky *****.
The day was then topped off by a passing 'off duty' copper (middle of shot,) who while I was composing the shot on my Canon Ixus, tried to tell me I couldn't take photos as she's almost run down by some hoon rubernecking the whole scene. Priceless.
I gave the copper the big elbow and finished the arvo with a giant mug of "worth gettin' out there" tea, and a giant smile from our "googie" princess.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

haha, nice pics.. I'd love to visit Australia some day.

That cop looks hot - was she? And tell her to screw off - you're in public, you can take pics of whatever the hell you want.

And do they not have Moto license plates there? That license plate looks huge in the last pic!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that last pic is hilarious....

Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of the moto guys bend the ends and wrap the plate around the rear guard. I use it as a commute in the week into the city. I don't really want to give them any excuse, you know what they're like.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice thanks for the pics West,,, I just wanna move to Aus..

Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice man thanks for sharing. I just got one thing to say. AND I THOUGHT MY BIKE WAS CLEAN!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm really diggin those frame guards. they're huge!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice Gavin.
Some people have all the luck, a mid week ride.

Last pic is a ripper.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Nice man thanks for sharing. I just got one thing to say. AND I THOUGHT MY BIKE WAS CLEAN!!!
It's the dry climate. The dust just falls off.
One tip I got from the motorcross guys. Use silicone spray on the plastics (a very light covering) and "voila" the dirt doesn't stick.
Now my secrets out.
From the photos of your bike Deej, I thought you knew that one. LOL.