Anyway to know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I bought all kawi parts rather than buying the DJ kit.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Green:
You should pull your carb and look at your main jet to be positive. I think our US bikes have a Keihin #118 main jet stock, but the Aussies get a #132. Bill told me to go +1 on the pilot and +2 on the main as a general recommendation.
Yeah, your right. I should look before I buy. I planned on using kawasaki jets.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Well thank you.

I agree with IDRIDR .....I can't speak for AUS bikes... The numbers i posted are at least the US models. 132 seems awful big from the factory, i had a 128 in my bike and it seemed to be running rich. I just bought the 38 pilot and 130 main for my 351 kit. Im going to start with the 128 main.
Like I said in my earlier post. I'm probably wrong. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Well thank you.

I agree with IDRIDR .....I can't speak for AUS bikes... The numbers i posted are at least the US models. 132 seems awful big from the factory, i had a 128 in my bike and it seemed to be running rich. I just bought the 38 pilot and 130 main for my 351 kit. Im going to start with the 128 main.
I can't speak for the AUS either...with any authority...except that I recall several posts where 132 was mentioned as stock. Any you AUS want to chime in...if he saw that in the manual and if that's correct?

If this chart is correct, then my equivalent Kaw jet is #137.5 (which they don't make that I know, but you get the idea) because my DJ jet is now #128. I was running DJ#124 before the 351 and went up +2 on the main. But it was rich before and seems to be rich now. Think I'll be putting in a DJ#124 (like it had before 351) which will be equivalent to Kaw 132(.5).

I hope to see what EMS reports with a 128 Kaw jet. I think the next size down in my DJ kit is about equivalent (a DJ#120). And I think EMS rides at a lower elev than me at 2500+ft, so I may have quite a bit of room to go down on main jet size before I'm getting it right.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I hope to see what EMS reports with a 128 Kaw jet. I think the next size down in my DJ kit is about equivalent (a DJ#120). And I think EMS rides at a lower elev than me at 2500+ft, so I may have quite a bit of room to go down on main jet size before I'm getting it right.
My next round with the 351 kit will continue tomorrow. One of my exhaust studs was bent, and it doesnt appear to want to come out, and now i smashed all the threads it has to come out one way or another... Just hope the aluminum threads dont come with it...

Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't speak for the AUS either...with any authority...except that I recall several posts where 132 was mentioned as stock. Any you AUS want to chime in...if he saw that in the manual and if that's correct?.....
That's correct. AUS bikes get #132 Keihin main jet and #35 Keihin pilot jet from the factory. Also N1RX needle (unique to Asia/Pacific??) Also, the carb' slide we get is alloy not plastic (US bikes.)

I tried the N1TC needle with my set up but the loss in fuel milage (significant) Vs the small bit of extra snap in the midrange wasn't worth it IMHO. Went back to stock needle shimmed 1.5mm (N1RX.) Bike runs sweet with Keihin #38 pilot and Keihin #138 main.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

EMS, What jets did you use before the 351 upgrade?
My jets are stock, found the #s.
Is this something I'll have to experiment with or is there a proven setup for the 250 with HMF exhaust?
I have 2 Kaw dealers close by, should be able to pick up parts.
Can you get the fuel screw extension thingy from a KAW dealer?
Thanks
Rob

Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by System6
Is this something I'll have to experiment with or is there a proven setup for the 250 with HMF exhaust?
Thanks
Rob
There doesn't seem to be one proven setup. Each bike, rider, condition, and setup are a little different. You'll probably get close with recommendations from those here, and may hit it perfect the first time (buy a lottery ticket if you do). But expect to made some adjustments if you want to get it dialed in.

My little independent shop ordered the Kouba screw for me. My dealer here (Carls Cycle) in Boise also gets them, and they seem to be one of the major dealers of the Kouba screw (Kouba is also here in Boise area).

Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by System6

EMS, What jets did you use before the 351 upgrade?
My jets are stock, found the #s.
Thanks
Rob
stock pilot. N1TC needle, second clip position, fuel screw 2-2.5 turns out. 128 main was a little rich, at a 125 now i believe, uni air filter, airbox lid on but minus the snorkel, full big gun exhaust.

Fun little video, go full screen watch me stand the bike up....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8mjoi9oq0

Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice video.
Looks like you guys had a good day.

Called both local KAW shops today.
One has to order the jets.
Called the other (Angels) and talked to the tech.
He told me to order the DynoJet kit.
Go figure.
I'm in no big hurry, considering ordering the Dyno kit?

Quick Reply: Anyway to know?