Anyway to know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyway to know?

Hello everyone. I've been a member here since Spring 2010 but I believe this is my first post.

Thanks to all for this forum. I've enjoyed being here and I've learned a lot about my bike. I've especially enjoyed the ride reports and pictures.

I bought my bike (2006 KLX250S) used from a private owner in 2010. It had 1394 miles on it. I knew nothing about this model. When I picked it up the PO handed me an HMF performance exhaust and told me he had it on the bike but it was too loud.

The bike runs well for what I do with it, which is ride through the Western PA countryside until I see an inviting trail, gas well road or logging trail and explore. I've put another 1500 miles on the bike since.

By following along here, so far, I've learned how to change oil and filter, clean and lube air filter, remove, clean and lube chain. Thanks guys.

I've had some questions since joining here but with Spring coming soon I figure this is a good time to ask?

Question 1
If I take the carb apart, is there anyway to know if the carb has been re-jetted?

Question 2
The top of my airbox is missing. Is it ok to run like this? (been running since I got the bike) Will this hurt anything? Should I get one? (I know this is more than just question 2)

Question 3
My chain guard is missing. Is this a big deal? Should I get one?(same thing)

Does the aftermarket pipe along with the top of the air box missing suggest that the carb might be re-jetted?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Question 1
If I take the carb apart, is there anyway to know if the carb has been re-jetted?

Yes, the jets have the numbers on them. stock pilot is a #35, stock main is a #118

Question 2
The top of my airbox is missing. Is it ok to run like this? (been running since I got the bike) Will this hurt anything? Should I get one? (I know this is more than just question 2)

perfectly fine, some people dont like to run without the lid because of the intake noise.

Question 3
My chain guard is missing. Is this a big deal? Should I get one?(same thing)

My bike has no chain guards on it...its not a big deal.

Does the aftermarket pipe along with the top of the air box missing suggest that the carb might be re-jetted?

I would assume its rejetted.

Hey if you want some people to ride with you can join my local dualsport club. We have members all around pittsburgh. Let me know if you would like some riding buddies, we have registration turned off, but i can get you in. If you want some help with the bike i would be more than willing to come help ya out.

http://rufcutriders.com/

Last edited by EMS_0525; 02-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks EMS, for the response and offers.
I enjoyed following your Colorado trip and postings.
Sure, I'd like to meet up and ride with you guys. Let me know.
As for the bike, I've got the back wheel off to change a flat tire so I guess I'll take the carb apart to see what kind of jetting it has. I want to put the HMF pipe back on but I want to make sure it's jetted properly.
I'm pretty good at taking things apart. If I need some help getting it back together, I'll be asking.
Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im pretty sure you can loosen the clamps on each end of the carb, remove the throttle cables and spin the carb to get access to the jets without removing it. Ive taken mine in and out so many times that im pretty quick at it.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, System.

Pop quiz: Which end of the oil filter goes toward the front of the bike????

PS, don't ask EMS.....he's an "evil Snickerdoodle..or schnatzenfricker, or veinerschnitzel," or something German.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Welcome, System.

Pop quiz: Which end of the oil filter goes toward the front of the bike????

PS, don't ask EMS.....he's an "evil Snickerdoodle..or schnatzenfricker, or veinerschnitzel," or something German.

LMAO.....

Watch it.....

Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

OMG...I couldn't resist.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
OMG...I couldn't resist.
what are you doing over here anyway.... dont you have a sport bike? This is the dirty bike section.....

Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Har Har Har Har.

System, while in your carb, you should also look at the needle if you want to know if it's stock or not. The stock needle doesn't have any "clip" positions. The needle may help you determine if you have a DynoJet kit. Jet numbers are not the same. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post442610

I have the HMF slip on muffler too. It's not quiet, but the "quiet core" helps a little. I plan to experiment with building another core to muffle her down a bit for those rides in more "sensitive" places.

I've used and have pointed to this thread a number of times: Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums
It's not bad, but there are a few errors or points where I disagree. For example, they say to put in a #40 pilot, which is a little rich for some folks and not for everyone. And post #19 says to turn the fuel screw out 20 turns (should be 2.0, but again this setting isn't for everyone). It is a pretty good step-by-step for removing the carb on our bike.

Have fun!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Jeff = Trouble maker!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Hey Rob welcome to the forums officially. Glad to have you aboard.

Quick Reply: Anyway to know?