Anyone who has taken apart the KLX motor - help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone who has taken apart the KLX motor - help please!

So I got the head and cylinder off - the cylinder looks awesome still, I was happy to see that. Can still see all the machining marks still. I have about 5 or 6k on the 351 kit.

I have two questions - FIRST - while looking down the cam chain abyss, I saw this little washer just sitting on one of the gears.. I fished it out:

It's a metal washer, looks to be grooved going around the OD. I can't figure out where it goes.

Right above where I found it is this hole:

The washer seems just a smidge too big to go in that hole, though I didn't try to force it in or anything. Does anyone know where this washer goes?!! I looked at schematics but couldn't find it..

And second question - can I remove the left side crankcase (generator side) first? The manual mentioned going in from the clutch side.. But the hole I need to repair is on the generator side - can I take it apart that side first? Or will the trans and everything need to come out from the other side?

This is proving to be a bit tricky.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks

Last edited by CousinLarry; 03-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't know about that washer but man you have clean hands for someone doing some wrenching.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

hahaa, latex gloves are my friend!!

Also I took the pictures this morning before leaving for work - I was working on the bike last night

Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a head bolt washer to me.
Do you have all 4 of them???

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I have all four head bolt washers, it's a little smaller than them..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I can tell by looking at the hole, the washer does not go there. Looks like a head bolt washer to me too. I would not sweat it. Don't put it back in the motor

Could it be one of the washers that goes under the valve cover nuts?

I would group all the nuts and bolts, count them. You will find where it goes.

Have fun!

David

Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Is that washer one of those valve cover washers? Maybe the groove is for an o-ring or such? I haven't had my valve cover off for awhile to remember what the washers looked like.

On the right side/left side disassembly and assembly, the order is usually dictated because of a stacking order that has to be followed. I've not been that far into my KLX motor, but design issues are usually what dictate that the order has to be followed. Are you actually splitting the cases in this repair or just fixing the hole in some manner?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

put a BIG tag on it so you dont misplace it and then put in the lost and found.
Bike ran well?? leave it out...
maybe it was a little present left in the crank case when new????
I know how you feel though,
I once rebuilt an automatic transmission and had a left over shim..
That sucked!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Not a valve cover washer..

It was sitting on top of a gear, just laying there, so it was definitely attached to something, it wasn't just floating around in there... I noticed it after I removed the cylinder/head and looked down into the timing chain hole area.. I guess I have some detective work to do

And I am trying to get to this hole:

It's in front of the oil drain plug. I also need to find the little chunk of metal that got punched in. Idealy I'd like to have that crankcase side out and loose so I can clean it well and patch it. But if I can just get to it and have a little room to work, I can maybe patch it while the trans is still in..

crap.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

My other thought is this - purchase a bottom end and sell my bottom end with the hole in it. I found a bottom end off an 09 that looks spotless for $450 shipped.

Do you guys think this might be the easiest thing to do? Do you think I can get at least $200 for my bottom end with the hole in the case?!

Quick Reply: Anyone who has taken apart the KLX motor - help please!