Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I suppose that's true, hard to keep up with a KTM....
There's plenty that I can't keep up with ... ask Hardtaco about the dude we met this weekend on the 2-stroke - it'd be pointless for me to even try to ride with that guy, he was crazy fast. I have my hands full keeping up with Hardtaco and his buddy Jerry - they are pretty fast in the tight singletrack.

My bike's on the left, Jerry's next to it, and the other KTM is another dude's we met on that ride, but not the super fast guy on the 2-stroke, though they knew each other, and of course the green belongs to Hardtaco. The other guy was fast too, but he says he was slow. How come it's always the old guys that say they are slow that end up being the fastest.

This was like the NE ride in reverse - all orange and a little bit of green instead of the other way around.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

*UPDATE* I'll have the tires and screws Tuesday, and my spokes later in the week, look for some screwed up tire pictures shortly thereafter....

Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe you can send a set to Deej so he can make it to work.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

klx minds must think alike. I have been thinking about studing the stock klx tires to go riding on the streets when they are snow covered. Should you get actual snow/ice screws or will regular sheet metal screws work just as well?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If you hit any pavement, sheet metal screws with get rounded off quick. The ice screws will as well but they have a dished/cut head so they will still bite pretty good. If you are going to hit pavement you might want to consider automotive studs as they leave quite a bit of rubber still in contact. The ice screws I ordered have 3/16" tall heads.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't planning to hit much pavement. I would just want to go out after the plows have made one pass but the roads have that nice hard pack covering.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the sheet metal screws would work, and you'd probably only want to use them kinda sparingly. Too many and if you hit a dry spot, it will be almost like ice. Lotta people on advrider run year round on just Trakmasters, no traction aids.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

You think if I put a couple of screws here and there in my trackmasters, they would be ruined when I take them out for the spring?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

That I don't know for sure. Quite a few people have said they screw them up for the winter and if there is a nice day where there is a thaw they'll take them back out to run when it ices over again. No one had mentioned it ruining the tires.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Maybe you can send a set to Deej so he can make it to work.
Yea maybe I should make a set of those, hmmmmm now where did I put that box of stainless screws?[8D]

Quick Reply: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?