Anyone owned both 2006/07 & 2009 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I know you guys are talking about wobble and whatnot. On my local club/forum I am involved in they have been posting about dynabeads. So far one guy has tried them and stated that they should just come stock in all vechiles. He took off the balancing weights on his KLR, and put the dyna beads in, and said it was the smoothest he'd had the bike ever ride.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
I might try them in my ktm, as the rimlock makes for quite a badd wobble at anything around 60kms and up..

Oh, and for the record, my ktm has a steering stabilizer, and it does not do the "deathwobble" at all. I have had it do it slightly when comming down from a wheelie or something, but the stabilizer straightens it right out again after a couple nudges left and right. It also helps from the wheel deflecting off of rocks in the offroad. instead of deflecting left or right real quick uncontrollably, it stays straight and goes over the obstacle.
And in saying that, I don't even notice the stabilizer being there. Some people would think they might make it hard to quickly react to a quick turn, but not the case at all. I don't notice it even there until I slam into a large rock.

Last edited by green242; 05-24-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCKAW

Really this is a true light weight dual sport with 250cc and its amazing how KLX go almost anywhere! Man I love my '06 KLX so much!!!!
These are effin sweet Bikes. I can't believe someone on here let his go for $2,400. I love my '07 which is pretty much an '06 with dif. graphics.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It's all in the tires. I hit 100mph indicated with SM wheels the other day. That's 90mph normal indicated (speedo offset from tire size), translate that to.....80 mph at least true speed.

Then again, them 17's are spinning soooo fast it helps with stability. I tried to induce death wobble, and it just doesn't happen.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
It's all in the tires. I hit 100mph indicated with SM wheels the other day. That's 90mph normal indicated (speedo offset from tire size), translate that to.....80 mph at least true speed.

Then again, them 17's are spinning soooo fast it helps with stability.
Thank you for this. I have been trying to tell everyone it's the tires for over a year. Knobbies don't track well on asphalt and it causes a wobble. Granted you can induce a wobble but it also goes away where as Knobby wobble stays until you slow down or speed up or slide back on the seat.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
Thank you for this. I have been trying to tell everyone it's the tires for over a year. Knobbies don't track well on asphalt and it causes a wobble. Granted you can induce a wobble but it also goes away where as Knobby wobble stays until you slow down or speed up or slide back on the seat.
Our bike geometry isn't really the main issue.

It is...but, let's hear from guys running 18 and 21 inch sportsman class tires first.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd say if it's a big concern than you're riding a lot of high speed street. There's lot's you can do to make it better on the street. Fender, Street tires, Fairing, Fender, Hand guards, Steering Damper etc....But this is a dual sport bike and it does pretty darn well. I still say it's the best combination dirt/street bike ever built.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

i ride my bike a LOT on the freeway (just did 240 miles of riding on 2 half days, about 100+ of that was freeways ). the bike does wobble at high speeds, even rider induce still means it has that tendency. it did it with the stock tires, it does it with knobbys, so thats not it. its the geometry of the bike, a true dual sport that will does well with the 250 motor that want made for the freeway. kawi never intented this bike for the freeway, so it make sence it does werid things at that speed. you could do things to make it better, but untill you change the frame, it will still be wobbly to some extent. and if you do, dont come back crying saying it sucks off road now.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride mine 90-95% on-road and mine does NOT wobble at any speed unless I cause it to

Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the great input. I changed a few things and the only thing that made any difference was a more street oriented rear tire. Some of the other things I tried were: lowering the rear of the bike 1 inch, lengthening the chain to increase the wheelbase, changed front fender, removed handguards, put more air in the tires. None of those made a bit of difference. I put on a mushy trials tire to ride some rocks and only put 15lbs of air in it. I took it up to 60 mph and wiggled the bars just to see how bad it might get and I'll be darn, it barely wobbled at all???? The trials tires are not meant for the road, but they have such good traction, it must act more like a street tire... Well, I've decided, I'm going to keep this bike and run it as hard as I can until I wear it out completely and then buy a 2009, or 2010, or 2011.....
Thanks.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crf230
I put on a mushy trials tire to ride some rocks and only put 15lbs of air in it. I took it up to 60 mph and wiggled the bars just to see how bad it might get and I'll be darn, it barely wobbled at all???? The trials tires are not meant for the road, but they have such good traction, it must act more like a street tire... Thanks.

The P.O. installed a non-DOT trials rear tire, and I can wack my bars and the bike is totally stable. The tire sucks on sand hills and mud so I feel I shall try the TrackMaster II on the rear and maybe the front also.

I am lookin' for the best woods tires as the KLX250s is my dirt bike. I have a set-up R100GS for dual sport riding. Click here. I pushed the BMW on two enduro routes last summer. I decided to add the lighter KLX to the stable after riding my buddies KLX on the road and in rocks and sand in the Big Bend - Texas

Last edited by klasjm; 07-05-2009 at 03:02 PM.