Anyone install kickstart on '09?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
good to see you're now agreeing with what I've been preaching about the '09 and its changes over the '06/'07 model.
You've been preaching about kickstarters....lol

I must have missed that.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Because there SO DIFFERENT!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

FM, if you had two people and put the bike in gear and one guy held the rear wheel while the other took the nut off the clutch would that work (without having to take off the left side cover to hold the flywheel)?

Also, did you use a torque wrench when re-assembling? Actually the more I look at your pics the less hard it looks to do....

Old 09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
You've been preaching about kickstarters....lol

I must have missed that.

no, it's just that you finally admitted that they changed something on the '09 where before in every post that I mention that the bikes are different which in fact they are, you always argue with me about the differences. you and your buddy always discount the changes made to the '09, like you're jealous and don't want to admit the bike has changed from swingarms to spokes to just about everything else.
I just thought it was refreshing to finally see you admit that the bikes have different trannies. I'm sure you'll spin this somehow, but your words are right there. lmao

Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Having just installed the Kick starter on my wife's 2006 XT 225 I will now be looking forward to doing the same on my KLX. What happens if you get all the way to the bottom of a hill and the battery is shot? And like mentioned above, you can't push start in sand. My bike is now coming up on 3 years since I picked it up, and with 10,000 miles on it, I guess I could buy a new battery just to be safe, but I think the smart money is on a kick starter.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

deej, check out: http://www.batterystuff.com/

...I just ordered a battery for my '03 Prairie 650 from them today. Actually less money (and delivered to my front door) than Advance Auto Parts or NAPA. $58 bucks (no tax, includes shipping) vs. $78.82 at Advance Auto (with core return) for the no-name battery. I didn't get down to Walmart to see what they had...don't know if they'd be cheaper. [My Kaw Dealer also quoted me $80+tax...not sure if that was a Yuasa or no-name battery]

I was going to get the Yuasa at $79 but they were out of stock, so I bought the "Scorpion" for $58. The write up actually looks pretty good and I saved $20 bucks (delivered to my house) over Advance Auto!! This last battery I got for the quad at Advance Auto lasted only 20 months (only came with a 3 month warranty too).

Looks like they have a battery for your 2006 KLX 250S for $44 (includes ground shipping and no tax)

They sell mower batteries too...will get a battery for my rider mower in the spring. That just died. No point in letting it sit for 6 months.

There is some good info on batteries on the batterystuff.com web site but this link was a good read too: http://www.atvconnection.com/Feature...-batteries.cfm

Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Having just installed the Kick starter on my wife's 2006 XT 225 I will now be looking forward to doing the same on my KLX.
Who are you and what did you do with deej!!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffNY
FM, if you had two people and put the bike in gear and one guy held the rear wheel while the other took the nut off the clutch would that work (without having to take off the left side cover to hold the flywheel)?

Also, did you use a torque wrench when re-assembling? Actually the more I look at your pics the less hard it looks to do....
From what I have read on the net, that should work....but I have never done it, so by Mullet definition, I cannot endorse sumthin I have not done myself, unlike MK I just did it like the service manual said to.

A young lady on this forum....I believe her name was Lauren did the kickstart install after me and wrote a great writeup where she did not take off the left side cover...use the search function and find it....good thread.

I use a torque wrench on anything that screws into aluminum....always. You can get a nice cheap "hobby-ist" torque wrenches from harbor freight cheap. They are good enough for occasional use.....get a foot-lb and in-lb wrench. You can use them for other mods too....like a 340 kit.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Exactly!! I mean after all I am a Maintenance Mechanic, but if I screw up something at work, the taxpayers pay for it, if I screw up something at home, I pay for it.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Funny. Made me chuckle.

Quick Reply: Anyone install kickstart on '09?