Anyone install kickstart on '09?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone install kickstart on '09?

Got my '09 KLX in June. Love the bike. But anyone add the kickstarter? It starts fine with the battery but I never fully trust batteries. Just had to replace the batteries on my quad and mower, both only 2 years old....

If you did install the kickstarter what was the price of the kit? How hard is it to kick over?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I... personally.... am not too concerned with a kick starter on these machines. They are only 250's and are geared high so catching them in gear on those rare emergencies shouldn't be a problem. I live in a mountainous area so there are always hills to go down. That should be enough to get me started to get back home where I can repair/replace the broken parts. I honestly wouldn't think it would be worth the time and money putting one in. Unless its cheaper and easier than I think.
________
Xxx free stream

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

If it gets cold where you live, BTW it doesn't here. Haha. You can get yourself a 'battery minder' and leave your bike hooked up all the time it's not being used. She'll fire up first time when you're ready to go.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

No catching a gear or push starting in sand or mud....especially in Florida

Kickstarter works great and costs $280. Pretty easy install too.

One thing, I just checked Babbits and they do not list a kickstarter option for the 09. CALL Your dealer to confirm the 06/07 kit will fit your bike.....it should no problem...but ya never know....they did change the tranny a little. Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I do use a battery tender on the quad as I use it in winter for snow plowing, and that extra winch use can use some juice. And with the cold (even garaged) it takes a little more juice to turn over that 650 Prairie...but battery still died after just two years.

$280? Ouch. Didn't think they'd run that much. It is just an arm with swinging boot lever right? No internal parts or gears? Is that a Kawasaki part or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I left the key on after stopping to take in the view on top of a mountain in Colorado this summer. Go to leave and the battery is dead. No problem, rolled it down the trail and popped the clutch, vrooom good to go. Five minutes later, not on the trail I thought I was on, I'm going down hill in a gully and I come to a drop off, dead end. In the process of turning the bike around in the steep loose rocks I drop it and kill it. Guess what the battery is still dead. Took about a half an hour to drag the bike up the gully sideways to a point where I could snap off some small trees, dig out some rocks, and exit the out the side of the gully. Rolled it down the hill popped the clutch, and carefully headed for home. Kickstarter would have been nice. Can you post a pic or yours FM? Thanks, Dan

Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffNY
$280? Ouch. Didn't think they'd run that much. It is just an arm with swinging boot lever right? No internal parts or gears? Is that a Kawasaki part or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff you got a few gears and shims and stuff to put it in. Worth every penny for me so far, because it has saved my azz solo quite a few times already.

Hey Dan, link for ya and Jeff doing the kickstart install a couple years ago.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=kickstarter

Please note on the instructions I give, taking off the left side cover is not mandatory if you can use an impact to pop off the clutch.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks FM. Great info. I can see now $280 is a reasonable price for all those parts. I would like to say I could do the install myself but I did just join a motocross club with some guys who are real motorheads. A few of the guys actually just tore down and rebuilt a small motocross engine to fix it in just 2 days so one of the kids in the club could race with it (the bike was bought on ebay and apperantly run with no oil!). I may see if any of these guys have any interest in helping me if I slip them a few bucks. I may hold off until spring anway...but this is something I'd like to add to my KLX...Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffNY
Thanks FM. I can see now $280 is a reasonable price for all those parts.
LOL.....I thought it was ripoff for a part that should come with the bike.....but noone the less I bought it and installed it.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
No catching a gear or push starting in sand or mud....especially in Florida

Kickstarter works great and costs $280. Pretty easy install too.

One thing, I just checked Babbits and they do not list a kickstarter option for the 09. CALL Your dealer to confirm the 06/07 kit will fit your bike.....it should no problem...but ya never know....they did change the tranny a little. Better safe than sorry.
good to see you're now agreeing with what I've been preaching about the '09 and its changes over the '06/'07 model.

Quick Reply: Anyone install kickstart on '09?