anyone good with suspension? 2009 KLX250s

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default anyone good with suspension? 2009 KLX250s

Well i would like to stiffen things up some on my KLX. Wondering what to do. I cant find my owners manual to see where all the adjustments are. I understand how suspension works with compression and rebound and all that from racing downhill mountain bikes that had 8 inches of rediculously adjustable suspension....just need help as to where my adjustment points are on the fork.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

well if you go to my stealership to have them setup properly they will tell you that they arent adjustable....if yours is like my 2007, there are rubber plugs at the bottom of the forks that when you pull them out have clicker screws that i believe are 14 way adjustable. Clockwise stiffer, CCW Looser if i remember correctly. Make sure you have them on the same settings.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

cool. thanks. just didnt know if there were adjustments under the top fork caps or not. thanks for the help!

Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The adjustments in the bottom of the forks is for compression settings. The forks don't have rebound adjustments.

Before messing with the adjustments, make sure that you have the correct weight springs in the forks for your weight, riding style, and terrain. The stock springs are for a light weight rider.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Go here they have a calculator that matches your weight and riding style to the springs you need http://www.moto-pro.com/mybike.asp
The stock front springs are .37kg .
Dan

Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

1. set sag - go here http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/sag.html
2. if you can not set sag change springs.

with my 2007 the rear spring was ok- front to soft- moto pro makes new springs. easy to change great improvement.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah the front is real squishy for sure. the calculator (which is friggin cool by the way)is saying i should use a .40kg spring and 10 weight oil.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

FYI you might want to bump it up a bit from what the calc on there says. I weigh about 175, and the calculator told me I needed .42's. I got a deal on some motopro .44's from someone here on the forum. I love them, not too stiff at all. I didn't change the fork oil.
Dan

Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup what Dan said .... the moto calculator is light on rates.

I got 46 springs on the front and weigh 170 lbs ..... stock oil......I bumped the rear one size for when I may put a bitch on the back...not often but its nice to be able and not drive around like Deej does with negative sag and a lot of gas.

roflmao

Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's probably the valving more-so than the springs, assuming you have the right springs for your weight. If it is still pogoing or diving too much, and you have the right springs, go for the clickers screw them all the way in and try that and see if it helps (easiest to do). If that doesn't help enough, change to a heavier weight/thicker fork oil for increased damping (harder - have to take the forks apart, get all the old oil out, and refill with new). And if that doesn't do it, a full revalve should finally do the trick (hardest or $$).

And I'm glad to see FM got in a dig on Deej's poor shock spring. If he didn't, I would have. Good times.

Quick Reply: anyone good with suspension? 2009 KLX250s