anyone get the fan to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default anyone get the fan to come on?

Mines never come on that I could tell, I have grounded the sensor and FORCED it on just to prove the fan and relay work.

Rode some really tight steep single track tonight that for sure would have most bikes boiling. Stopped a couple times to see if the fan came on, nope. Coolant level had not risen in the recovery tank .

It was about 60f out, so how hot a day and kind of riding does it take to get the fan to kick on?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Only time I've seen it come on was hot hot summer day, 80°-85°, tight single track, slow rolling, hill climbing.. That's about it.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I rode mine in city traffic when it was around 100F, and it never came on. i have since then replaced it with a smaller electric fan, and wired it to run all the time when the key is on. Never had a problem yet.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Riding rocky trails around Clayton OK in July. I've never seen any other bikes out there. The trails are rough enough that I rarely get out of first gear, just keep the engine at about 6 grand and feather the clutch. The fan only comes on when I either dump the bike and shut it off or stall it before I learned the method metioned earlier. I have a few pictures of some rock crawlers out there, but can't figure out how to resize them to post.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Deep sand, WA style, and Eagle Hill Road, that actually isn't a road at all. Clutch got hot too.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

usually mine cuts in on steep single trail /or very hot days and single trail .Slow speed and high engine load will do it every time.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

single track only basicly. or getting stuck or long hill climbs. people say they "almost never" hear the fan, but i hear mine come on atleast a few time a ride unless its forest roads or open desert.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
single track only basicly. or getting stuck or long hill climbs. people say they "almost never" hear the fan, but i hear mine come on atleast a few time a ride unless its forest roads or open desert.
I hear mine load and clear. When its on, I can definitely hear it. The only times mine has been on is when I'm rideing through the woods on tight twist and hill climbs.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Once like 3 years ago on a 100 degree day on a single track going real slow med revs. It came on and I was like whoah! whats that, never heard it since then.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had mine come on several times. Usually when I am at snails pace on hot day. Definaly came on one time when I was off the bike with it running trying to get the back tire out of a mudhole. But its always hot here.

I bought some "water wetter" to add to the coolant at some point. Its suposed to lower the operating temp by "up to 10degrees F" Has anyone else had experiance with it or something like it?

Last edited by maninthesea; 04-14-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone get the fan to come on?