Anyone Else Willing to Consider an African Charity Adventure Ride in 09?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks cool and the fund raise isn't too high. Shame about the bike choice though. Yamaha AG200 isn't going to blow your socks off but the scenery and karma gained certainly will.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes

Ha, Ha, Ha.....where did you find that one NB

Sure sign of old age....quoting movie clips that are relevant to you, even thou they are over 20 years old...lol. Still a great flick thou.

Yo NB, even a consideration to swing it?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Looks cool and the fund raise isn't too high. Shame about the bike choice though. Yamaha AG200 isn't going to blow your socks off but the scenery and karma gained certainly will.
Price includes airfare and you are donating the bike.....therefore you can write off the whole trip. Definately tame thou......but there is more to life than roosting your buddy....hmmm well I may be wrong on that.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No can do for me, FM. My wife gives me the "look" when I go away for the weekend with the guys to ride leaving her home alone with 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 4 cats. I can only imagine the response I would get if I said I was going to Africa. lol

BTW, found that pic over at ADVRider. I liked it, great cultural reference.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

No worries, send 2 dogs and 4 cats to a fancy kennel. 3 kids go to your grandma's not your wifes parents and the wife gets a week off in say Cozumel with a girlfriend or two.....problem solved.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Entry Fee: $8000
Austin to Heathrow and back: ~$800
Innoculations: ?
Gear: I'd need to spend about $300 on some gear upgrades
Travel Insurance: Varies greatly I'd suspect, especially since you need to mention "motorcycle" to the agents specifically.

This:

Day 1
Depart Heathrow.

Day 2
Arrive Johannesburg, once you’ve connected to Port Elizabeth, freshened up and had a few beers we’ll gather together in the evening for the all important welcome briefing, this is where you’ll meet all of the huge personalities that make up the Enduro Africa team. Be prepared.

Day 3
The bang on your door happens early from now on! Today see’s you meet your trusty Honda CRF230 for the first time, once you’ve had a quick briefing on the do’s and don’ts of riding in Port Elizabeth we’ll crack on with the first ride, a brief warm up / fill up session lasting just a couple of hours. In the evening we have the welcome dinner and official rider briefing. Pay attention!

Day 4 - 250km
This morning is simply indescribable, it’s so utterly charged with emotion, nerves and adrenalin. You’ve come so far to get here and now it’s the chance of the Enduro Africa team to blow your mind, to pay you back tenfold for working so hard, getting behind our concept and helping the superb causes the ride benefits. Think 100 bikes revving up, tribal dancers and drummers and deafening police sirens making your head spin as we deaprt en masse in one huge wild group – Enduro Africa has begun. We will re-group shortly after the departure in a remote coastal bay and from here you’ll depart again at 5 minute intervals, we are now moving from a huge group of bikes into our respective pre-arranged teams. The rest of the day takes you through some beautiful and diverse terrain, including a stunning game reserve.

Day 5 - 250km
We wind our way through beautiful forests up into the moutains. Today’s ride is rural and takes in many small and interesting towns. This is an area full of history and ruins dating back hundreds of years, there’s also lots of historical sites relating to the Anglo Boer war and the Xhosa wars scattered along the route. Keep your eyes peeled today for elephant, lion, giraffe and buffalo as we tackle one or two interesting game reserves too!

Day 6 - 225km
Today is a beautiful and remote – a very African day with beautiful forest footpaths, Dams and rocky passes.

Day 7 - 77km
This is where the Wild Coast begins and the true off road adventure starts, Enduro Africa is about to shift up 5 gears so get ready!.We’ll tackle mighty rivers by motorised Ferry and embark on an epic 70km journey which takes us about 8 hours! A cross between ‘trail’ and ‘trial’ is a good description of the next few days riding - we are in the heart of Rural Transkei populated by the very friendly Xhosa people, this area is stunning with thatched huts, ancient traditions and incredible off road riding. Make time to stop and say hello to the local people, as they have a totally different world view to us and it’s fascinating watching our two very different worlds collide. Our last challenge for the day is a mighty Gorge, a steep 1000ft descent to cross the Qora River. After this we arrive at a very remote location and party hard into the night – yeeehar! I feel a rest day coming on.

Day 8 - 165km
Today there will be many of you nursing hangovers due to trying to drink rum with the South African’s. Be afraid, be very afraid. We’ll spend the day at a beautiful family hotel situated on the rocky shores of the warm Indian Ocean. This is where we service the bikes and get involved in some very moving community projects inspired and funded by Enduro Africa. Generally it’s a day for you to catch up on some washing, watch the whales, laze on the beach and spend some money at a great pub overlooking the sea.

Day 9 - 140km
This is a long technical day where we traverse North up the coast. You have the option to ride the technical route or a slightly easier non technical way home. The only people we will see today will be the rural villagers. Don’t be confused by the relatively low riding distance, this is a real ‘dig deep’ day.<empty>

Day 10 - 160km
Still heading North we follow the coast and arrive in a small hippy town on the banks of a beautiful river. Our overnight stop is a beautiful lodge situated in a remote location on the wild coast beaches.

Day 11 - 85km
Make the most of the riding as Enduro Africa is shortly drawing to a close, today there can be no excuses as it’s a tricky technical day all the way to the finish. It’s Tough and emotional, we’re all exhausted, annihalated by Enduro Africa, but beaming and fully refreshed, full of laughter and life. Today is a fine way to finish a truly great adventure. Tonight we’ll have the biggest party of the trip and some superb finishing speeches. Well done Enduro Africa!

Day 12
Transfer to Johannesburg for connecting flight home.

Priceless

Looks pretty amazing. I'd be willing to consider. I didn't see when the actual dates were for though. You'd be hanging out with a bunch of brits though!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Entry Fee: $8000

Day 12
Transfer to Johannesburg for connecting flight home.

Priceless

Looks pretty amazing. I'd be willing to consider. I didn't see when the actual dates were for though. You'd be hanging out with a bunch of brits though!
Nutin wrong with brits.....they are fun, but they like to drink..lol.

Where did you get the $8k....I thought it was $5k and change....was that in pounds.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Nutin wrong with brits.....they are fun, but they like to drink..lol.

Where did you get the $8k....I thought it was $5k and change....was that in pounds.
5000 pounds is what they're asking for minimum right?

That's a little over $8000 USD.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rs&btnG=Search

I know, just pokin' fun.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn,,,$5k in pounds.....still doable

Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a great trip. I could see doing it in 2010. I have commitments in Guatemala in 2009. It would be tough trying to raise 10k in less than a year anyway, but I thin I could do it. It would be good to do the enduro and then meet the rest of my family after for a holiday. The Enduro India might be good to!!

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Willing to Consider an African Charity Adventure Ride in 09?