Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

I started using Mobile 1 MX4T at 1200 miles, haven't ridden it enough to make any judgements.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I did my 1st only change on the bike this weekend. Bike had 163 miles on it when I changed the oil and filter. Since the miles is so low and I will be doing another change at 600 miles I went with Castrol 20w50 Snytec this time. It did have the SJ rating and is a blend of regular and synthetic oils. I wanted to get the bike use to 20w50 and give it a taste of synthetic. I will say the Oil was very clear when I was draining it so thats good.

Once I do the 600 mile change I will go to a full synthetic at that point. I'd like to stay with Amsoil but nobody locally carries it so I will probably make the shift to Mobil 1 for both the harley and the Kawi.

On a side note I see what you guys were talking about with the spring. I didnt have any issues though. I just used a tiny dab of white greese to hold it in place while I installed the filter. Easy Job

LV

Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Shoot me if you must... I would recommend leaving your oil in your bike until the factory specified 1st oil change interval. A lot of manufacturers install special "break in" oil with the initial fill. This is designed to allow the moving parts to wear togther. By dropping your oil at only 163 miles, your engine is not even close to being broken in. Honestly, unless you have contaminated your oil, that is a rediculous change point in any case. I know it only takes 1 and a half quarts but really 163 miles?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well you might get another opinion here, but from what I have read and talked to bike mechanics, most of the wear is in the first 40 to 100 miles, so you need to get that stuff out of there. If you look at MX race bikes, they change oil after every race.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I switched to Mobil 1 for 4-strokes at 800 miles. Although I did it for engine lubrication purposes (because I am totally convinced that synthetic oil is far superior), I discovered that my wet clutch loves it! Shifting is much smoother, and I can find neutral every time now!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Iowaguy

Well the reason I went with 20w50 is because here in florida it can get Real hot and never gets real cold. If you look at the temp guide in the owners manual it would seem that 20w50 is a better oil for the florida envirorment then 10w40 is. Also I noticed that most Quality Synthetic Motorcycle Oils seem to only come in 20w50 and not 10w40. The Amsoil I used to buy was 20w50 and so is the synthetic mobile 1 harley oil I have in my Garage. I have no objection to running 10w40 but went to 20w50 for the reasons stated above.

LV

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

Shoot me if you must... I would recommend leaving your oil in your bike until the factory specified 1st oil change interval. A lot of manufacturers install special "break in" oil with the initial fill. This is designed to allow the moving parts to wear togther. By dropping your oil at only 163 miles, your engine is not even close to being broken in. Honestly, unless you have contaminated your oil, that is a rediculous change point in any case. I know it only takes 1 and a half quarts but really 163 miles?
we won't shoot you, but it may be like shooting your engine if you leave it in until Kawi says. that factory crap is no break in oil. getting it out early is the best thing he could have done although i disagree with the 20w-50, that's too thick imo for this tiny engine. it needs all the freedom of movement it can get and that's pretty thick oil. i'll stick with 10w-40 like the factory recommends.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Question for you Mobile 1 users. I remember seeing Mobil 1 for 4 strokes a long time ago when I had my Suzuki dr250. Last time I went to that part store they only had Mobile 1 for aircooled Harleys. Think there is any difference in the two and would it hurt the Kawi running the harley oil in the bike. I figured if its goood enough to run in a 20k harley in should be good enough to run in my little kawi.

LV

Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I understand about the Special oil and have heard the same thing. I think Honda uses some additives in the initial oil but the manual didnt say anything about that. Also while I stated the oil was clean the Filter was not. You can follow the manual if you want but I didnt want minute metal shavings floating around in my oil and in the filter for 600 miles. I actually was going to change it at 50/100 miles but was late so 163 will have to be good enough.

I also couldnt keep the bike under 4000 rpms like suggested for the first 600 miles. Remember those are Guide lines and just that.

LV

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

Quick Reply: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet