Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

just turned over 2800 miles, and have been thinking of switching to synthetic oil. I have used Kawichem from day one. give me the best one I can get at Walmart.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok, i feel stupid, what is the sj rating for? it sounds like some motorcycle oil has it and some doesnt, i thaught it would be ok as long as the the oil was specifically for motorcycles.. so whats the SJ rating?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
Not to mention BMW and Mini Cooper state they recommend Castrol Syntec right on the engine on their new cars. These are just my opinions though. thx, Travis
I guess that would not have anything to do with a marketing arrangement?
"Drink more Ovaltine!"

Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I personally would NOT buy oil for my bike at wallyworld. When I said I used Castrol, I meant Castrol motorcycle oil from a cycle shop. I do not think walmart sells motorcycle oil specifically for our 4-strokes, i may be wrong though.
Hi Travis, I personally hate Wallyworld, but they do carry the Castrol 4 Cycle Motorcycle oil. That's my oil of choice and I have a Wal-mart 3 minutes away. They don't stock it with the rest of the oil, it's always in the aisle where they have helmets and bike locks. Although, wallyworlds may very.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

However, when I do get around to changing the oil, I'm also going to be installing the Four Stroke Works shift star to remedy the shifting issues with my machine. I've had frequent false neutrals - between gears where there should be no neutral.

Hmmm while I havent had that I will say that sometimes I seem to have issues getting the bike in first from neutral and have to roll the bike a little bit before it drops in. I was wondering if other people had encountered this yet too.

LV

Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, some of the oil you guys mentioned I have never heard of. Also I'm Not real familiar with this SJ rating you speak of.
From what I have seen the Best synthetic oil on the market is Amsoil, followed by maybe royal purple and then mobile 1.

I have run amsoil in my harley for 2 years and been very satisfied with it but the Little ole lady who use to sell it is not in business any more so I would have to order that special and the same with royal purple. If I dont stay with Amsoil I will probably go with Mobile 1 as I think its Almost as good as Amsoil.

Bottom line here fellows, you payed Four Thousand Dollars Plus for your Klx, Why use a cheap oil just to save a couple of bucks.

LV

Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Hmmm while I havent had that I will say that sometimes I seem to have issues getting the bike in first from neutral and have to roll the bike a little bit before it drops in. I was wondering if other people had encountered this yet too.

LV
We all have had the dreaded no first gear shift, all you do is let the clutch out half way and then shift, it will drop in, or let it out all the way and try it a second time. Even $30,000 vehicles do it from time to time.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been using the Kawi synth since the first 50 mile change. No problems.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet