Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

So has anybody started to use synthetic oil yet in their bike. Mines got a 150 miles on it so far and I will be doing a oil change this weekend sometime. I will probably run regular oil this time but plan on switching to full synthetic at the 600 mile mark. I use Amsoil 20w50 in my harley and switched over at 1200 miles. The one thing I noticed right away with the harley was smoother shifts. I believe synthetic oil helps the motor run better and will give longevity to the engine.

Anybody here running full Synthetic oil. At what milage did you switch over, What brand do you use, and did you notice any difference in the wat the bike runs or shifts. Thanks in advance...

LV

Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet

I went to Rotella full synthetic (which is really a shell product) at 500 miles after some intense research. My bike definatly shifts noticably smoother. I guess the rest of the story will play out over the next few thousand miles, I like the way it performs and will stick with it on future oil changes.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, I'm surprized at only one answer to my post. So nobody else out there runs Synthetic oil. that seems strange, Oh well. Personally I was actually thinking of switching at the 150 mile mark But will wait untill the 600 mile mark. Synthetic is a Good thing people in case you didnt know. My 2 cents.....

LV

Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It's a slow day I guess... There are several people using it... I just bought my first bottle but haven't done the oil change yet. Motul 10w40 Synthetic blend. I can't cough up the big bucks for 100% synthetic.

However, when I do get around to changing the oil, I'm also going to be installing the Four Stroke Works shift star to remedy the shifting issues with my machine. I've had frequent false neutrals - between gears where there should be no neutral.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:43 AM

I use one brand of oil in all my bikes. I've been doing that for quite some time.

It's available at WalMart in gallon jugs for about $15.

The oil I am using is Shell Rotella-T Synthetic in the blue jug.

The formulation is just about perfect for a motorcycle!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You might want to give it a bit more time for your parts to wear in before switching to synthetic. I think I switched over to Mobil1 MX4T at around 1500 miles or so after running non-synthetic Havoline 10W40 with no problems. I switched back to non-synthetic though a few oil changes before I installed my 300cc kit so that the synthetic wouldn't impede breaking in the new parts.

I can't say that I noticed any smoother shifting or running when I switched to the Mobil1 synthetic, nor when I switched back to regular. In either case, I've never had any troubles or rough shifting issues. I just haven't noticed things being better or worse either way.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:14 AM

ditto on the shell rotella synth, i use it in my powerstroke and both bikes

Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 AM

Castrol synthetic changed to it at 400 miles.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL !

Quick Reply: Anybody using Synthetic oil yet