Any Motorcycle Mechanics in Detroit Michigan Area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Any Motorcycle Mechanics in Detroit Michigan Area?

Having recently bought a 2009 KLX 250s I am finding all kinds of mods. Some I may be willing to attempt myself but one of the first things I see that should be done is the shift star. I don't feel qualified to be messing with the transmission and to be honest I would like someone who's good with these bikes to look mine over and make sure its mechanically sound and safe to ride.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the Detroit area that knows how to work on and mod the KLX I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
Having recently bought a 2009 KLX 250s I am finding all kinds of mods. Some I may be willing to attempt myself but one of the first things I see that should be done is the shift star. I don't feel qualified to be messing with the transmission and to be honest I would like someone who's good with these bikes to look mine over and make sure its mechanically sound and safe to ride.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the Detroit area that knows how to work on and mod the KLX I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thanks.
When you get this done you should do a walk through, I'd like how to do this mod as well and although I've torn apart motors, I've never done anything like this before. Best of luck in your search

Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Is your shift star broken? There are many mods to choose from, shift star seems an odd first choice.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

No, the shift star is not broken. Do most of you guys wait until it breaks before replacing it?

The reason its high on my list of mods is more of a preventative measure. If I drop my bike (which I'm sure will happen at some point) I don't want to have to worry about magnetically fishing for broken pieces of star shifter out of the motor.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

shift star seems like an odd mod to start...only seen it mentioned once or twice long time ago...of it breaking after a crash or hard drop left...more common would be jet kit and exhaust...think jet kit something you should learn on your own because of the possible future adjustments you might want to do as you mod other things....

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm in rochester and i would wait on the shift star also

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Shift star is an easy swap even for a novice.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I've also considered changing the star before it breaks to eliminate the risk of damage from the broken fragment getting somewhere it shouldn't. I haven't yet, but I carry the new star in the bike's tool kit.

There are pretty good instructions on here for changing it yourself. If you have no tools, place to work, or time that's a different story. Look on Craigslist "services" for motorcycle repair, talk to a few and see if you're comfortable with one. If they'll let you hang out you can learn also.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

did they ever fix this problem in later uear models ?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
I've also considered changing the star before it breaks to eliminate the risk of damage from the broken fragment getting somewhere it shouldn't.
That's my train of thought as well. I don't want to wait for it to break and then have to go "fishing" for metal fragments in the engine. Its purely a preventive measure. I know other mods are more popular as mentioned already, and I plan to do some of the other "popular" and inexpensive mods to make my bike run stronger. But I really want to prevent something that can cause major problems if I can. Its an inexpensive part, just seems to make sense to me to fix it BEFORE it breaks.

Quick Reply: Any Motorcycle Mechanics in Detroit Michigan Area?