Any Interest in a KLX450S ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Any Interest in a KLX450S ?

Actually, the more I think about this particular model coming out, the more sense it makes from a marketing standpoint.

Suzuki has the DRZ400SM - a very nice bike, but to be able to fit into any AMA Supermoto class, you need to do engine work as the class is 450 cc.

Now, if Kawasaki comes out with their typical bike - the "make from special" . . . . . KLX450S is made from the KX450F . . . . . KLX250S is made from the KLX300R . . . . . Concours was made from the Ninja 1000 . . . . . et al . . . . . just think of what could be next a KLX450SM!

So, now when you go into the showroom, you can choose the KLX250S, KLX450S, KLX450SM, KLE650R or KLR650. Now, that's a lineup like no other dealer out there!

Go Green!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:05 AM

YES!!

Here in my state it’s pretty easy to dual-sport a bike, so I’m keeping my eye on the KLX 450. (Is it a six-speed)?

I have been looking for a dual-sport bike for a while now; I have been considering a lot of bikes. DRZ400, KLR650, KLX250s, the KTM’s and Husqvarna’s have been ruled out because of reliability or lack of dealer support and expense.

Kawasaki needs to pull their head out of the sand and get a six-speed in that KLR, I think the engine is pretty much the same but with a better flowing head.(I hope) hopefully it will respond to mods better then.

Hopefully all of the other companies will come out with more dual sport bikes with six-speed gearboxes.

Marty I figured you would be drooling over the new Concourse!
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/...-kawasaki2.htm

Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Slowpoke,

What state is it that you live in?

From what I have read about the KLX450, it is a 6 speed transmission.

I wholeheartedly agree that the KLR650 would have really benefitted from a 6th gear in the upgrade package they are putting out for 2008. Actually I am disappointed at Kawasaki for a half-assed upgrade. However, as I've said earlier, I think they are positioning the KLR650 into a all-encompassing "Dual-Purpose" product line for 2008. KLX250S, KLX450S, KLR650 and a yet to be released bike based on the 650 cc paralell twin motor from the Ninja 650R, but in an "Adventure Style" packaging.

Am I drooling over the Concours 14?

It's a whole lot more serious than that.

My current Concours is a 1986 model. No, I didn't buy it new, I bought it used. When I bought it there were about 20,000 miles on it. There are now almost 50,000 miles on it in the last 3 years. I don't like to ride it during the summer as there is a lot of heat that comes out of the fairing when riding. In the heat of Florida summers, that is NOT a good thing. So, 10,000 miles a year is not a bad deal on a bike that is only ridden about 8 months each year.

I had heard the rumors about the new Concours for a long time. I kind of figured the ZX-14 motor would wind up in a SPORT-Tourer by Kawasaki. It is a motor that is awesome in the ZX-14 - if you have not yet ridden one, don't! It is that good! 3rd gear is absolutely inspiring. From about 20 mph to 120 mph - what a range! Of course, your arms will be longer after the ride and they might have to pry your hands off of the bars as you don't want to give it up.

Yes, I am getting lustful feelings about the Concours 14!

Now that's a bike that I will wash, wax and detail on a regular basis as it is NOT a dirt bike!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM

I live in Missouri; I tend to research what I’m in the market for a little too much.
(Kind of like deej about cleaning his bike.) I can’t help it though![sm=alcoholic.gif]

I really enjoy reading all the post in this forum, but I have to admit CALISAKI’s avatar can be very distracing!!![sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: slow poke

I really enjoy reading all the post in this forum, but I have to admit CALISAKI’s avatar can be very distracing!!![sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

I must say that I am constantly reminded of the second verse of ZZ Tops song, "Cheap Sunglasses" !

Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine levis and her sweater's kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molases
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Old 10-06-2006, 03:28 AM

wow ive had so many comments about my avatar i cant believe it, well nothings quite *** nice as a nice round shaking butt i guess. sorry to ruin anyones concentration but that avatar is there to stay. and that 450 headlight is going on my klx i dont care how much it costs, or if its legal or how many mods i have to make to get it to fit, its on my list.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: CALISAKI

wow ive had so many comments about my avatar i cant believe it, well nothings quite *** nice as a nice round shaking butt i guess. sorry to ruin anyones concentration but that avatar is there to stay. and that 450 headlight is going on my klx i dont care how much it costs, or if its legal or how many mods i have to make to get it to fit, its on my list.
CALISAKI distractions can be a good thing sometimes, but if you and onestarr99 could combine your avatars. [sm=Awwww.gif][sm=smiley29.gif]

Marty it says here in this link that it’s a 5-speed, top paragraph toward the bottom.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23sep...06_klx450r.htm
It’s a good thing for the Japanese bike market that Husqvarna and KTM don’t have a good/reliable dealer network in the states.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM

"just think of what could be next a KLX450SM! "

I will let you know

I just ordered a KLX450R (Comes in March!) with a set of Excell 17" wheels and rubber, and a Dual Sport Kit

Watch for the green blurr on the streets of Ontarioladies and gentlemen!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM

What the hell does it take to import a Canadian KLX 450 into the good ol' USA? Oh yeah, I forgot, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Have fun with yer new ride.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

In the US sorry but I just dont think so.

There is nothing in the entire history of japanese dual sports to suggest such a thing would ever make it to these shores. Other countries, absolutley.

My prediction,

The continue the 250S until they run out of 300 parts then replace it with some lame Sherpa clone, the continue the new 650 until they wear out the tooling (again). Thats it. Just a prediction though.

Quick Reply: Any Interest in a KLX450S ?