Any Interest in a KLX450S ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Any Interest in a KLX450S ?

EMS_0525,

Actually when I first read about the 2008 KLR650 I was quite upset. Here is a bike that has a very loyal following and there have been a number of letters written to KHI asking for a few things to take an excellent product to the outstanding product level and this is what they have given the loyal followers of the bike.

I have a KLR650 and it is a great bike - once you get it dialed in. Of course, most bikes will ride, handle and accelerate even better once you learn what they like and do the proper mods to make them better. Just look at what has been accomplished with our KLX250S!

One of the things the KLR650 for 2008 should have had is a 6 speed transmission. It's got one of those things I like to call a "tweener" right now. Geared too high for off road and too low for on road. It's just "tween" being right on. With the addition of a 6th gear with a higher, overdrive like ratio, you could put a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket on it and have what we have with our KLX250S model - a great all around little bike. But they dropped the ball on this.

There is a lingering problem on the KLR650 - the "Doohickey" as most call it. The "Doohickey" is a piece that controls the tension on the balancer chain for the KLR650 motor. Quite frankly, it is a piece of illegitimate metal that should never have been installed in the engine. I have personally changed out about 30 of these stock parts with a part made by Eagle Mfg & Eng. The stock part - either the "Doohickey" or the spring that works in conjunction with it - has been found to be broken more times than I care to think about. Even when it is found intact along with the spring, the amount of play that is left in the part keeps it from doing it's intended task, hold tension on the balancer chain. This is something that should have / could have been updated to a newly manufactured part. The problem is with the process of manufacturing. The part is made from two pieces of hardened metal that are machined to allow for changes that MIGHT happen during the welding process. The welding process - which in itself can be pretty shoddy - is the cause of the problems.

If it breaks, the broken parts fall into the sump of the motor and you have hardened steel parts floating around in the oil pan of you engine. I don't like the possibility of things that might happen there!

I'm not privy to what they changed, but I'll bet even money that the "Doohickey" is something that is still the same. What a shame.

Then I started thinking about how the entire "Dual Purpose" product line of Kawasaki MIGHT be for 2008 . . . . . H'mmm, there are some interesting little things starting to appear here.

Last year, there was an article in Motorcycle Daily on the soon to be Kawasaki 650-ER, a Euro-only motorcycle. All of a sudden we saw the Ninja 650-R appear here in our showrooms. The article talked about how KHI had mentioned this 650 cc paralell twin engine that makes 60 something horsepower winding up in a dualsport bike in the near future. I hope what I am about to say turns out to come to fruition.

Starting in 2008, Kawasaki will take the lead in product of "Dual Purpose" motorcycles here in the United States. Included in their lineup for 2008:

o KLX250S - a stalwart little burro that has become a favorite of trail riders in the Untited States.

o KLX450S - for folks that want a bit more power. Almost the same weight as the KLX250, but with 18 more horsepower!

o KLR650 (new model) - for the folks that want the motorcycle world's version of the venerable Jeep.

o KLX650R - the new 650 cc paralell twin in a true dualsport frame. 11 plus inches of suspension travel, USD forks and all at 300 pounds.

o KLV1000B - the Kawasaki version of the V-Strom that is being sold in Europe only.

Now, since the "baby boomers" of which I am a part of, is getting a bit older and looking for a smoother, more comfortable and more fuel efficient way of transportation in a world with a growing demand and diminishing supply of gasoline is turning to the "Adventure Style" motorcycle. It's upright ergos and rugged good looks put it in the same market niche as the Hummer, SUV's and big pickup trucks.

Of course, this is strictly nothing more than just my opinion.

We'll have to wait until next year to see what officially transpires!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wow..... i kinda just liked the looks of it.... sorry about the problems with it....

Old 09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I'm not privy to what they changed, but I'll bet even money that the "Doohickey" is something that is still the same. What a shame.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Features and Benefits

651cc Four-stroke Single
- Revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance
- New intake porting offers greater low-end torque
- New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, for improved oil consumption
- New one-piece exhaust pipe features smoother bends for improved exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Special tuning to improve low- and mid-range power
- Light, silent cam chain reduces engine noise
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
Liquid Cooling
- New Denso radiator is thin and lightweight. Fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan, the new radiator has a greater cooling area and offers a 20% increase in cooling efficiency
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Automatic fan keeps things cool in all conditions
- Includes a temperature gauge
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Better breathing for more power at all rpm
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation
- The use of a secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque
Double Engine Balancer
- Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue on long rides
Fully Transistorised Ignition
- Fully transistorised ignition unit replaces the earlier analog CDI for better ignition performance
- More precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life
Five-speed Transmission
- Designed to handle the engine’s unique power characteristics
- The engine’s broad torque curve only requires five speeds for off-road and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain reduces maintenance and increases chain service life
Handlebar-mounted Choke
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
Revised Front Suspension
- New, beefier 41mm front fork is offers increased rigidity. (Previous unit was 38mm)
- Re-calibrated suspension offers less static sag and now offers greater on-road riding performance.
- Front suspension stroke was reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in.
- Air-adjustable front forks
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
Revised UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Rear suspension travel was reduced from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in.
- New D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
- Redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage compliments front suspension changes
- Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
- Features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping
Stronger Wheels
- New 4mm spokes (up from 3.5mm) provide increased wheel stiffness, enhanced handling performance and improved steering response.
Semi-double Cradle Frame
- Made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
Engine Guard
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Detachable Rear Subframe
- Simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor
- Large rear cargo rack included
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- New lightweight front and rear petal discs offer excellent braking.
- Front brake disc diameter increased from 260mm to 280mm.
- New rear calliper offers improved feel and power
Electric Starter
- Easy and convenient starting
Lighting and USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor
- New dual-bulb headlamp offers greater night visibility
- New high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or under poor visibility conditions
- Rear taillight parking light
- U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank
- Significant capacity permits adventure touring
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
- All-new bodywork features a larger fairing, which contributes to increased wind protection
- New, easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame, contributing to lighter steering
- Full instrumentation includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Firmer urethane seat foam offers greater comfort for long-distance riding
- Seat height is lower, but reduced suspension sag means the rider’s ability to reach the ground is about the same
- Alternator output has been increased from 14.5A to 17A. Total capacity is 36W to provide ample power for the new headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Optional extended warranty

I think they may have addressed the "Doohicky" even though Kawasaki has never admitted to the problem. It looks like they got pretty far into the engine redoing some stuff. Too bad about the 5-speed. If it had a 6-speed, it would probably be the perfect adventure touring bike.

Here is the link where I got the info. LINK

Old 09-27-2006, 10:50 AM

why would anyone want that 450? it doesnt come with a seat strap OR a chain guard lol. what the heck are u supposed to take off when u get it home, jesus what a piece of junk ha ha. damn that enduro headlight is killing me i want one for my 250. that is the poop right there.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

MMmmmmmmmm 450, I knew I should have waited until next year to get a bike. Oh well, it would probably be out of my price range anyway.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

it probably wont be too much more than the klx 250 s... the klr is only like 5199 i think, and ours is like 4300... on kawis site...

Old 09-27-2006, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

it probably wont be too much more than the klx 250 s... the klr is only like 5199 i think, and ours is like 4300... on kawis site...

Since the KX450F is $6899, I'll bet the 450's are both priced pretty close. I think the reason the KLR is priced so cheap is because it hasn't changed much since it first came out. It's been in production so long with the same parts it's become inexpensive to manufacture.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya that is real nice. 450 KLX-S Kawasaki would rule the world.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

lol,,, i dont think he will stop, kawi will just keep makin more bikes... damn them......

Quick Reply: Any Interest in a KLX450S ?