Any ideas for a better Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Any ideas for a better Seat?

I know I probably just need to ride more and toughen up but this seat is a real pain in the rear. I'd hate to have to pony up for an exspensive aftermarket seat but I'm nearly to that point.
Has anyone came up with a solution?
I've thought about sewing up some nylon cloth with stiff foam inserts to widen the seat then I saw the sweet cheeks product. My idea was similar only with the stiff foam wedges instead of bottles.
I know a lot of folks use the ATV seat covers. I'm just hoping to find something else.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I hear you, friendo! If I'm sitting on the bike for more than 1/5 hour straight than my buns start to burn a little. I am really new to this bike so maybe I too just need to man up and get used to it. The thing is, this is the only part that I don't enjoy about riding. It would be 150% better if my glutes would stay glad!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

It is a wee bit narrow....curious to hear alternatives!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Stand up more.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Getting your weight into the pegs does give you a lot better traction and control.

What I'd like is the same seat just a little thicker and have gel inside instead of foam. This isn't something I'm going to cruise down the interstate with. I did a few 100 mile days with it out west this year and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still plenty bad.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM

I have the same problem-see my low cost seat mod on page two, it was meant as a joke, but the pain sure ain't.
I have since bought a patio chair cushion cover, folded the foam inside, and hold it down with a beadrider. I put the beadrider on loose and settle the cushion once on my bike. This is only for when I know I will be riding on fire roads or slab. When I am going to enter trails, I tuck the cushion under my web on back, move the beadrider back out of the way and sit on the seat normal. It's far from perfect but works in a pinch.
I was looking at the Alaska sheepskin site, they have a dual sport cover, has anyone tried one of those?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I had my Husky seat re-done by Renazco Racing. It was a 6-month wait (but you're only without your seat for 2 wks.) and cost $350, but it was worth every single penny. I recently did a 1,200 mile trip on it, 200-300 miles a day, and it was really comfortable. I'm considering having them do my KLX seat, but since the KLX is mainly just for off-road rides where I stand occasionally, and shorter rides overall than the Husky, I'm thinking I can get by with the stock seat.

In response to glorp's post above, I've also used an Alaska Buttpad sheepkin on a Honda 230. It did improve the comfort a little, but the sheepskin has kind of a slick feel that is not ideal off-road. That may go away over time. If you're on a serious budget, I'd say it's worth the price tag. I think I paid about $30-$35 for it.

Last edited by jckid; 09-01-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Saddle preference and recommendations are nearly impossible to hit upon correctly. People's anatomy is different, their riding style is different, and their buns-of-steel pain meter vary greatly. I happen to like the stock seat on my '06 model. I hated the stock seat on my KLR650. I work part time at a friend's bicycle shop and recommending saddles is even harder in that setting. For a motorcycle or bicycle either one, you almost have to be able to physically try one to see if it's your thing.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Saddle preference and recommendations are nearly impossible to hit upon correctly. People's anatomy is different, their riding style is different, and their buns-of-steel pain meter vary greatly. I happen to like the stock seat on my '06 model. I hated the stock seat on my KLR650. I work part time at a friend's bicycle shop and recommending saddles is even harder in that setting. For a motorcycle or bicycle either one, you almost have to be able to physically try one to see if it's your thing.
Funny you should bring up bicycles and KLR650. I like my KLR650 seat fairly well (until it started aging and breaking down on the edges), and don't like my KLX250 seat...which is OK, because I simply stand up a lot on the KLX. OTOH, I can ride an ironman triathlon on a bike seat and be just fine. Go figure!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

I wear biking shorts under my riding pants (i have a pair of LL Bean gels, and they are great).

Quick Reply: Any ideas for a better Seat?