Any Experience with the Green Light Trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Default Any Experience with the Green Light Trigger?

Does anyone have any experience with the Green Light Trigger? It seems like it might do a good job at tripping stubborn red lights. I am getting pretty tired of running red lights just because I am tired of sitting there. I used to do a legal right turn on red and then a semi-legal u-turn back through the intersection, but it just seems stupid at 5:00 in the morning to be doing motorcycle maneuvers around a deserted intersection just because my bike does not have enough metal on it to trip a switch.

There seems to be a number of magnet-type solutions out there, but the apparent leader in the field is the Green Light Trigger. I was thinking about picking one of these bad boys up, but I am also considering just getting the most powerful neodymium magnet that I can find and glueing it to the inside of my skidplate. My biggest concern is interference with other electrical components on the bike, but the Green Light Trigger folks claim their product does not cause any problems. I don't see anything about their magnet that would shield the field above the device, so I don't really know if my poor-man solution will cause problems or not.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Any Experience with the Green Light Trigger?

interesting,

cant you just put your kickstand down though?

Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM

I have heard that, but I have not had any success doing it. Maybe I am not putting it on the right place. Should I place the stand on the wire or in the circle?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno, playing with the kickstand every time you come a stop in the morning, especially they way I am in the morning, seems a bit busy to me.

I've read about similar devices. One in particular was called 'Signal Commander.' I was thinking about getting the same type of thing because I commute on my bike in the summertime and have to be out of the door by 6AM.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:29 PM

Chris,

I have found a manuver that seems to work, at least with the lights I have to deal with here in Florida.

The detection here is done via a magnometer - you can see the wire fields in the pavement. When I ride into them, I do a "Weave" across the entire area with the bike - kind of like a big 'S' curve through the detect area.

Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Marty, I'll give that a try. If that doesn't cut it, though, then I am going to either make a poor man's NdFeB magnet trigger. The magnets range froma few cents to a few bucks online. I would like to find a local source for good magnets, though, so I don't have to pay more for shipping than for the magnet.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about FL or NC, but in Ontario, they put 3 yellow dots at traffic lights directly above the wire on one side of the loop. They say motorcycles and bicycles should stop here in order to be detected by the traffic light sensor. I've also read that motorcycles should stop at any corner of the loop (e.g. stop with the engine above the 45 degree chamfered corner of the sensor loop).

Alternatively, why stop at all? DIrtY MIRT (Do It Yourself Mobile Infra Red Transmitter). Definitely illegal in most places with VERY stiff penalties ... but I'll let the article try to dissuade you.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

In my worthless opinion,,, I don't belive that you should have to purchase this item. It the "MAN" has a problem with you running red lights they should issue this out to all bikers that are haveing a problem... Just my two cents...

Old 12-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I use the kickstand it works everytime. It looks funny, but it works.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM

Deej, where on the induction loop do you place your stand? One the wire? In the center of the loop? On a corner?

Do you have a prefered spot or do you just do it at random?

Thanks. I think I might just be doing it wrong. You are right, though, it does look pretty funny.

Chris

Quick Reply: Any Experience with the Green Light Trigger?