ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS

ORIGINAL: ol guy

In this hot weather the higher octane is more likely to deterengine knock isn't it? Especially if your lugging the bike around .
Yes correct. What makes bike ping is the high temperature in the combustion chamber that is igniting the mixture without the spark plug. When it comes down to it, what determines the octane necessary is the combustion chamber temperature, not compression ratio. A bike that doesn't ping in 70 degree temperature could ping when the mercury hits a hundred.

Under no circumstances should you lug the bike. It is the worst thing you can do to an engine.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually if you look at the knuckle at the handle on the hose, it really narrows down, I am amazed we get anything out of it.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

That wasn't really my math. I'm going by an article I saw in some magazine a while back where someone conducted an experiment and that was the conclusion they came to. I also read an article in Motorcycle Consumer News that stated the same. Due to the nature of stating only the factand the fact that they accept no advertising, I would think that they would not publish any fraudulent information.

I am no expertbut I did manage a gasstation a long time ago and I don't remember the inner diameter being as small as you state.

Also please don't take it personally but just because someone is inan industry for 6 years does not mean that they are an expert and the final word. I have been in the automotive business for 20 years and ther are plenty of higher up executives that have been in it longer and know nothing aboutcars.

Quite frankly, Iwould like to know the real truth about this myself. I do know thatmy R1150R knows that there are leftover87 octane in those hoses. My R1150 pings like crazy unless I put 93 octane in it. If I go to a one hose station, it always pings.
No offense taken, I think this is a great arguement.I wanted to know the answer to this questions so I cut straight through the crap and taked to the people that make the gas.Even if my buddy was an idiot, the 1 qt tests are a fact, and their are fines invovled for non-compliance. Unlike your magazine article which ran one test, these are industry standards that are repeated over and over and over again. As for the hose, I said the inside diamater was smaller but by how much I don't know. Regardless, the valve that drains back to the tank (which proably wasn't around a long time ago when you managed a gas station) is the key. Yes, some gas does get through, but between the higher then stated octanes and filling up over 1 qt, you still get what you pay for.

BTW, if your other bike is pinging that bad that it needs 93 you may want to take it to the shop...

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like my prostate.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Gasoline companies generally start with a higher quality base fuel when they blend their high octane fuel.
Dude do you have any factual data that backs this up? I would be curious to know as I have never heard this before.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw it on an episode of Dallas, JR's car was pinging and....

Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fireroad

BTW, if your other bike is pinging that bad that it needs 93 you may want to take it to the shop...
The R1150R's recommended octane is 89. However it always pinged with 89. I'm talking about accelerating full throttle going uphill in 6th gear at 80 mph+. The engine is not being lugged so there is no reason it should ping. If I put in the super, it's fine. According to the internet, I guess it's one of those "they all do that" things. The bike is in perfect state of tune.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fireroad

No offense taken, I think this is a great arguement.I wanted to know the answer to this questions so I cut straight through the crap and taked to the people that make the gas.Even if my buddy was an idiot, the 1 qt tests are a fact, and their are fines invovled for non-compliance. Unlike your magazine article which ran one test, these are industry standards that are repeated over and over and over again. As for the hose, I said the inside diamater was smaller but by how much I don't know. Regardless, the valve that drains back to the tank (which proably wasn't around a long time ago when you managed a gas station) is the key. Yes, some gas does get through, but between the higher then stated octanes and filling up over 1 qt, you still get what you pay for.
So these tests are done by the gas companies and they are stating the leftover is about a quart? Is this pretty much true at any gas stations or do some have more?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep I had a 93 Toyota 4X4 that always pinged on low grade, sometimes on the mid grade and never on the highest grade. Its ping 101 my friends.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I was running regular all the time and thought I heard some pinging when it was hot out and working it in the slow tight stuff so I switched to mid grade. Been running that for a few thousand miles. Last month I put in a tank of regular and it ran like sh**. Sounded different, smelled different and lost quite a bit of oomph. Ran that all out in one day and refilled with midgrade and all was normal again. Wether it was truly the octane level, or just the pure quality of the fuel (could have been the bottom of the drum for all I know) it definitely did run different.

Quick Reply: ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS