ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS

It's fun to argue about though!

It is true that a KLX will run under load on 87 octane without pinging depending on the brand. My KLR650 runs on it as well. However, I use premium fuel. Not to avoid ping, only to get a fuel with less impurities, my bike gets better gas mileage and just runs better with it. Gasoline companies generally start with a higher quality base fuel when they blend their high octane fuel. Probably more important for carburated bikes that burn less efficiently and leave more deposits behind anyway. Buying premium for a bike is inexpensive, too. When filling up my KLR 250, its only an extra .50 - .75 to go for the premium anyway. Cheap insurance against buildup of deposits.

Let's hear some come backs on this one.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Finally unless you go to a gas station that has individual hoses, regardless of what you pay for, you are getting a gallon and a half of whatever the guy before you bought(in most cases 87 octane). So in the case of the 1.9 gallon KLX tank.....well you can do the math.
Sorry, FM-Thumper, your math is way off. Like I stated in the original post, the state and feds take regular samples from gas stations to ensure that the consumer is getting the correct minimum octane.These samples are 1 qt size, or 1/8 the capacity of our tanks. That samplehas to meet the minimum octane requirement or the gas station and the refinery get fined.In order to meet those requirements 1. the hoses have a drain system and 2. the refineries sell gas that is slightly higher in octane then the minimum. Look on the pump and you will see the inspection sticker (say something like dept of weights and measures).

I didn't start this thread to rehash old arguements. There is a lot of crap out there on the net, and since I have a good friend who has worked 6 yrs in the refinery business and has no reason to lie to me, I figured people would like to hear it right from the horses mouth. Getting the same gas the the guy before you bought is a simply not true.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Arguing is good - makes me drink more - TECATE!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Thanks for the interesting information, so we should run the highest grade? Will it run better and be better for the engine? (sorry for using better twice in one sentence.) My Thesaurus didn't have another choice.
I asked my buddy the same question and he, while opinions differ, the best betis togo by the owners manual (87) as that's what your engine was designed for. I asked him since all we have here is 86 and 88 ..which one? He said I could run the lower at my elevation (4300) unless it knocks, but the mid-grade would be best. Remember, the higher you go the less octane you need....and I ride at 8700 feet.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Personal preference is why I only run the high test and at what our bikes burn the price don't really matter.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I know, let's ask wikipedia.com!

It all boils down to this...

One person's Religion is another person's Belly Laugh.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

In this hot weather the higher octane is more likely to deterengine knock isn't it? Especially if your lugging the bike around .

Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

That's what I've heard.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fireroad

Sorry, FM-Thumper, your math is way off. Like I stated in the original post, the state and feds take regular samples from gas stations to ensure that the consumer is getting the correct minimum octane.These samples are 1 qt size, or 1/8 the capacity of our tanks. That samplehas to meet the minimum octane requirement or the gas station and the refinery get fined.In order to meet those requirements 1. the hoses have a drain system and 2. the refineries sell gas that is slightly higher in octane then the minimum. Look on the pump and you will see the inspection sticker (say something like dept of weights and measures).

I didn't start this thread to rehash old arguements. There is a lot of crap out there on the net, and since I have a good friend who has worked 6 yrs in the refinery business and has no reason to lie to me, I figured people would like to hear it right from the horses mouth. Getting the same gas the the guy before you bought is a simply not true.
That wasn't really my math. I'm going by an article I saw in some magazine a while back where someone conducted an experiment and that was the conclusion they came to. I also read an article in Motorcycle Consumer News that stated the same. Due to the nature of stating only the factand the fact that they accept no advertising, I would think that they would not publish any fraudulent information.

I am no expertbut I did manage a gasstation a long time ago and I don't remember the inner diameter being as small as you state.

Also please don't take it personally but just because someone is inan industry for 6 years does not mean that they are an expert and the final word. I have been in the automotive business for 20 years and ther are plenty of higher up executives that have been in it longer and know nothing aboutcars.

Quite frankly, Iwould like to know the real truth about this myself. I do know thatmy R1150R knows that there are leftover87 octane in those hoses. My R1150 pings like crazy unless I put 93 octane in it. If I go to a one hose station, it always pings.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I'm at 300 above sea level so should I be running race gas?

Quick Reply: ANSWERS TO THE GAS GRADE QUESTIONS