Another Vapor Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Default Another Vapor Installed

Well I just wanted to post a couple pictures of my trail tech vapor install. It finally came yesterday. I ordered it a month ago along witht he aluminum gaurd/mount. and yesterday I stopped by a little electronics store and picked up a couple of 1/4" 12V LEDs to use as neutral and blinker indicaters (idiot lights).

The first thing that I noticed was how little the unit isand I new as soon as I saw it the mounting case thing wasn't gonna work for my needs, so I modified it to fit my needs.

I built a mounting bracket from some steel I had laying around. With a couple holes drilled and black paint I was good to go. This bracket lifted up the entire setup. it was sitting way low and would of been had to see or use any of the buttons as far down as it was sitting. I did use the original steel peice that the original cluster was mounted to as well.

I cut off a bit of the aluminum arms sticking off the mounting case that I bought, just enough to get rid of the old holes that were to be used for mounting. Then I centered up some 1/4" holes to slide the little LEDs into and ran the wires to the back and into the original wire harness. I soldered and shrink wrapped all the conections.

I think the most difficult part of the install was the temp sensor, this was only because you actually had to drain some of the coolant and I am very sloppy to begin with but add some liquid and I will get it everywhere.

I ran the speedo cable down the same side as the brake and then used the instructions as they provided to put the sensor attached to the calliper rather than what nobrakes did and mount it to the plastic, i was gonna go that way but I went with the instructions instead. Something to note is that my kit came with a plug dealy to insert into the old speedo cable housing on the other side of the hub. The cable looks close to the rotor but there is ample space so the cable won't get eaten by the spinning rotor

All in all the install was easy but it took me a while cuz I am a little ****-RETENTIVE when it comes to my little projects. So here are a couple of pictures of the freshly install Vapor one right after I finished and then one in the garage with the neutral light kickin and the blinker blinkin so you can see both LEDs on. i haven't gone anywhere on it yet so i have no functional impressions on it yet, but I will post them later. Not really a write up but just wanted to put the info out there. if you have any questions please let me know and I will try to answer them as best i can. i don't have the knack for writing like nobrakes but I will try to tell you what i know.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another Vapor Installed

Nice !!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll second that, Very Nice .....

Old 09-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great photos and nice clean install, jeep. I like what you did with the neutral and blinker indicators. But what did you do with the over temperature and high beam indicators? I might have missed it, and if you said, I apologize in advance.

I like that aluminum case for the Vapor, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money on it. It does look very nice, though.

BTW, I had about 2800 miles on mine when I put on the Vapor. Since the odo is permanent and non-settable, and I didn't want to have to add 2800 to the odo reading to calculate the true odo on the bike. So I took the spare magnet in the kit and fixed it to a motor shaft and placed that near the speedo sensor. With that in place, I then adjusted the tire size to max on the Vapor and then adjusted the rotational speed of the motor to run as fast as it could yet still get reliable speed readings (about 250 MPH). Once it was all stable and running smooth, I just let it go for the 11 hours required to accumulate the missing miles. Just got to be sure and turn it off at the right time since you can't take miles off, at least not without some soldering.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 AM

Nobrakes I just omitted the overtemp since it is included on the Vapor and I always have my high beams on so i didn't realy need that light. Ya, i hear ya on the case but it was $$ well spent now that I have it. It was a deployment gift to myself so I used that as justification The magnet on a motor thing is how i am gonna get the miles back an there.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

First off, Thank You for Your Service!

Nice clean install, good job.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeepphamilee

Nobrakes I just omitted the overtemp since it is included on the Vapor and I always have my high beams on so i didn't realy need that light.
Makes sense. Looks like you installed your sensor on the hot side of the coolant path like I did. Just for reference, I noticed that the stock overtemp light came on when the Vapor was reading about 230 F. Looks like the fans kick on at around 205'ish.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Very clean........get it clean? Sorry.....[>:]