Another sprocket & Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha, I like the way he ducks back into the garage to hide on the cops!!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Check his comments. No clutch. Didn't even rev to 5K. Just body position changes (push front down then weight back), throttle, and no mods except for removing the spark arrestor. Not the best show of wheelies on the KLX (I'll give that to Malves!!), but it goes to show that technique is key when you don't have torque! And that us Idaho boys like to pull wheelies right in our neighborhood in front of the cops.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Darren, you're showing your age. No one below 60 is going to know what an Ossa is...LOL! I disagree with your assessment about dropping the clutch at 6 grand not being fun. The video of the loopout will be way funny.
HEYYYYYYY I'm 52 and know what an ossa is!!! Dag nabbit you young whipper snappers

Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
First, welcome to the forum.

IMO, go cheap and put a 13T on the front with your 48 rear and current chain, assuming it's still in good condition, and see what it does. You should be able to get a 13T for around $15 to $20. This is also assuming that you aren't at the end of the adjustment point for your chain. It's a cheap thing to try an you'll get a better feel for it, practice those wheelies for a while with more torque, then maybe decide where to go from there. I kinda doubt that one tooth on the rear is going to give you a noticeable difference unless you are very sensitive to those things and/or doing a lot of high-rpm highway burning.

I've run 14/42 and 13/42 with a stock bike, then modded the airbox/carb/exhaust and ran a 49 rear with 13/14/15 front. This was a setup I really liked for the riding I do on this bike, which doesn't include much highway time. Now have a 45 on the rear with the 351 kit, but still bump the front between 13 and 15 depending on if I'm riding gnarly trails or just dual sporting around on the easier stuff. The 14 rarely gets used, but its there if I need it.

I can get the heavy-a$$ KLR to wheelie up and it's geared just a little lower than stock with no power mods. Practice and technique.
Thanks for the advice. My chain is in need of replacement. I'm not. Nesasserly trying to do wheelies just a lil help getting the front end up if I need to get over obstacles. What would be the correct chain size?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
HEYYYYYYY I'm 52 and know what an ossa is!!! Dag nabbit you young whipper snappers
Yeah, but Mav...they still probably sell Ossas in Australia, don't they?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by phil77
Thanks for the advice. My chain is in need of replacement. I'm not. Nesasserly trying to do wheelies just a lil help getting the front end up if I need to get over obstacles. What would be the correct chain size?
Get a chain with adequate length and cut off a link or two if needed. Stock is 106 I think. I ran 110 with 49 rear sprocket, and 108 now with a 45. Slip the clutch and work the throttle to get over obstacles with some pull on the bars. This bike doesn't wheelie like an Ossa, whatever that is

Speaking of vintage, there's a Maico for sale nearby
MAICO 1979 440 Magnum

Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

That Maico probably could sit in for an OSSA, for a few wheelie's. That is a nice looking bike. Not too familiar with that Maico, is it tuned for torque or HP?

You got to love the look of this bike, I would get one today if they were available.

Attached Thumbnails Another sprocket & Chain?-ossa-250.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you for all of your guys help.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
That Maico probably could sit in for an OSSA, for a few wheelie's. That is a nice looking bike. Not too familiar with that Maico, is it tuned for torque or HP?

You got to love the look of this bike, I would get one today if they were available.
I don't know anything about those old bikes. From what I hear they were all pieces of junk. Just look at this fool riding an ancient '76 Hunkavarnya...and it had an automatic transmission. What a moron!

Attached Thumbnails Another sprocket & Chain?-husky-1.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it legal to ride a Husky while wearing Kawasaki pants?

Quick Reply: Another sprocket & Chain?