Another slip on exhaust thread.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a q4...it's not very loud at idle...sounds quieter than my lawn mower when the bike is warming up or when i'm stopped...i'll try to feather the throttle as i leave home...i let it rip when i'm on the main street and it's loud enough..people don't realize when i'm idle at intersections..so...it startles them sometimes when the light turns green...

Originally Posted by rlj
thanks, I'm taking my bike back to Atlanta tomorrow for service and recall notice work. I think I'm going to go with the FMF Q4.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
WOK, you bring an interesting point. Haven't there been like 3 Muzzy cans over time? The original round can Muzzy was extemely loud. The local aquaintence who I bought my '06 KLX from had one of those original models, and it was too loud. He bought a second round can version which is on there now, and it is just right IMO. I think now there is an oval can version that may be even quieter. I don't know if all of these versions were available in your area, but I'm pretty sure there have been 3 separate versions.
TNC, when I was talking with Dave Turner at Muzzy, he indicated that the can may not have changed, but their quiet baffle was an option on the first system and now it comes with the quiet baffle. In fact, here's what he wrote me: "The one you see on the picture is correct. When you purchase the system it comes with a Forestry approved spark arrester and quiet baffle insert. You can be loud or be quieter. When we first sold the systems the quiet baffle was an option. Now it comes with the new system. So maybe your friend got one with out and one with the quiet baffle."

Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Another reason to add the slip-on is the performance gain that comes with about half an hours work, on my buke that was the single biggest performance boost. I jetted for it about a week later but the pipe along was a bigger boost the the Uni filter and the jetting. My powercore 4 instructions said no jetting required if that was your only change from stock and I think it would have ran like that just fine but it was happier with a performance A/C and a dynojet kit.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
TNC, when I was talking with Dave Turner at Muzzy, he indicated that the can may not have changed, but their quiet baffle was an option on the first system and now it comes with the quiet baffle. In fact, here's what he wrote me: "The one you see on the picture is correct. When you purchase the system it comes with a Forestry approved spark arrester and quiet baffle insert. You can be loud or be quieter. When we first sold the systems the quiet baffle was an option. Now it comes with the new system. So maybe your friend got one with out and one with the quiet baffle."
Yeah, that sounds about right. That first one on the bike that I eventually bought was painfully loud when my friend owned it. He couldn't stand it. Hey, you and I rode together out at Moab. What was your opinion of the pipe sound on my KLX? Also, isn't the pic I saw fairly recently on their site, or somewhere, showing an oval can model now? Granted, the internals may not have changed any.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I remember your bike being quieter than my HMF noisemaker, and I had the sound reducer in it. Yours had a good tone...but if I recall, it was a little bit louder than those XRs. I'd really like to hear the FMF QC and see what the difference is. And I have a plan for a modified insert for my HMF, along the lines of DAVID R, to quiet that thing down.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM

Just a thought, but the primary effect of loud pipes is reduced riding areas.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Automobilist
Just a thought, but the primary effect of loud pipes is reduced riding areas.
Well said Automobilist. Loud pipes do serious harm to our sport by stirring up and uniting the general public against us.

As the saying goes,"if it takes a noisy exhaust to save your life, you don't have the skills to be on the bike in the first place".