another option

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: another option

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

jetting isn't always going to make more power, it will just deliver power better.
I'm having aREALLY hard timeaccepting that ...

Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

if you think that just because you change out jets or install a "jet kit", that you'll immediately see horsepower increases, well you would be mistaken. and i can correct myself as well; it won't always make more power as sometimes it takes it away.
Ok, that I can sort of believe, but not totally... otherwise, why would people be so concerned about getting their jetting right?

Horsepower is the product of everything that is involved in the conversion of chemical energy into kinetic energy, or more relevantly,the handling and conversion of liquid fuel to exhaust gases.

Everything in the whole air/fuel path (airbox, filter, screen, carb, ports, valves, cylinder & piston, header, exhaust, etc.) plays a part in horsepower, and all must be tuned in unison to maximise the efficiency of producing horsepower. (i.e.:adjusting one component without corresponding adjustments to other components may improve performance, but not optimally.)

The carb, including jetting,is probably the most complex part of the system, so to make a blanket statement like yours is misleading ... just changing your jets CAN increase horsepower (as well as decrease it), provided that the jetting was not tuned in concert with other modifications. (Notice that I said "can increase", not "will increase".) I'd say in most cases, however, people who make some of thepopular mods (airbox, filter, exhaust system), will see an increase by changing their jets, as well as improving the delivery of power produced by other mods. Does jetting increase horsepower the same as a big bore or an exhaust system? Not likely, but if you don'tadjust the jetting in concert with the other changes, you're probably not getting as much as you could.

don't finance your personna by going with the bandwagon or against what i say all the time.
I'm like you ... if something's on my mind that I think is worth saying, I'll say it. Unlike you, I don't think that everything on my mind is worth saying, so I don't say it.

As far as "getting on the bandwagon", yeah, its out there, but I'm not a regular passenger on that route. I recognize that different people have different personalities, and when you're on the Net, you'll probably run into all kinds. I can see how some people would think you're an insulting idiot, but I also see that you have a lot of experience and knowledge. I like to think that I'm tolerant of different kinds of people, but what I think of a person is my business ... if it doesn't offer any benefit to that person or othersif Ishare it, that I don't say anything.

Like I said, I thought your statement about jetting was misleading and the graphic seemed appropriate (I'm a "wise guy", remember? Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!) Maybe I could have been more thorough in my reply explaining why I found it hard to accept, but you did expand on it ... sort of ("i can correct myself as well; it won't always make more power as sometimes it takes it away.")Unfortunately, over 3/4 of your reply focused on how much more experience and knowledge you have over me, and with all that knowledge and experience, youcould have helped me understand why my thinking was mistaken, but you didn't.

Anyway, you're right ... I'm not going to make a career change and become a motorcycle mechanic. But I'll keep reading these forums in the hopes of bettering my skill in telling good advice from bad advice. And if I think I have something worth saying, I'll say it.

So, no appologies given, none expected. Let's keep KLX'ing! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 PM

i cant believe i started this whole thing again, but iowa thanks for not completly shredding me,..... and secondclasshero thanks, u are first class in my book. ok everyone lets take a deep breath and relax, and maybe this pic will help everyone forget about exhausts for a minute.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1706/C84C8740987B452E92F3F7B6827AC8FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

i also recently installed the two brothers slip on and i loved it but of course iowa guy had to run his mouth to me also. whatever. i love the slip on and the power increase was great. as far as sound i love it also. loud pipes save lives! IG-how old are you anyway? just wondering.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i see in a previous post you are 36, as i am. i dont think you act 10 but maybe 13.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

calisaki- the chickwith the dog is freakin hot!!!!!!!!!![8D]

Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

CALISAKI WHO IS THE GIRL IN YOUR AVITAR? IF THAT IS YOUR GIRL YA DONE GOOD!!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 AM

just got the pipe today and i am very impressed, even the box was pretty and had a pic of the klx on the outside. this thing is loud, and i love it,...nothing like some decel pop pop. i do notice that my time through the gears is a tad bit quicker now as well. the fit was flawless with no footpeg issues at all and the overall finish of the pipe is more thani expected. the weight of the stock pipe is ridiculous, that thing must weigh about 18-19lbs. well i cant wait to ride to work tomorrow . heres a couple pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1706/E44314E108E3431D948199F21DDE3069.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: another option