Another new guy w/ ??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another new guy w/ ??????

Hello new friends,
Lurked here for a week after reading the worlds largest discussion on ADVrider on the KLX250. (haha). Decided it was the bike for me. Got it last thursday and love it(even if it is a slug). I can't believe the diff it made putting a 1/2 in hole in the exhaust. (only mod yet) I have the carb parts on order and will get that going soon. As I am vertically challenged, I had to take out most of the preload in the rear suspension and it is pretty soft in the back. The Kouba link is on order(1&1/8 version) and have slid up the forks as much as possible until i can find the handlebar extensions. I would like to know who has cut foam out of their seat and how hard was it? Did it have much negative effect on the comfort of the seat? How about the kickstand, has anyone cut a section out of it to compensate for the lower bike?

Thanks for all the help

Best regards
Dan B

Old 05-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another new guy w/ ??????

All I can comment on is the seat, I'm 6-1 and 240 lbs and so the bike height is perfect for me, in fact I wish it was 2 inches taller. Not sure about cutting foam out of an already really uncomfortable seat. If I ride for an hour I feel like I have been kicked by a horse in the butt. But hopefully I will get used to it......soon

deej

Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the group..... I have installed the Kouba KLX3 link and it makes a world of difference. As for the rear shock, you will notice that it will break in over time, so you may need to re-adjust the preload at that time. I will be cutting the kickstand this weekend, since it provides a nice pogo stick after installing the Kouba links. Pictures and process will be posted as the cutting begins.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:20 AM

KLXelent,

Welcome aboard!

Don't throw away those stock links. Keep them in a spot where you can find them.

Once you become accustomed to the bike, I'm sure you will want to put it back up at full height.

A friend of mine is 5' 5" and can ride my KLX or my KLR650 - seat height is taller than the KLX with raising links in it - with not a bit of problems. Of course he is an excellent rider.

BTW, you won't believe it's the same bike once you install the mods.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the dealer do my seat pre delivery so I can't help you sorry

Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi KLXelent,

You might want to ask Randy (aka Nobiman), over at the , uh, other place. I believe he cut the foam down for his wife. Betcha he's got pics too.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello Guys,
gouref,
glad you like the KLX3 link. mine should be here tomorrow. Good luck in the kickstand mod. Looking forward to the pics.

Marty,
I will keep them on hand. The problem is not riding the bike it, is the mount and dismountnot only are my legs short(29 in inseam)but they are thick from mountain biking and lack some flexibilty.

Maverick,
How comfortable is the seat for long rides??

Sully,
I got the idea from over their and his pics. Just want to see if anyone else has any experience.

Keep it coming guys you are the best

Anyone in the Spokane are want to go riding??????

KLXelent

Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I too put the KLX3 links in they make a big difference so I would not cut the seat until you install the links. the kick stand is a little long now but I can live with it.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXelent

Maverick,
How comfortable is the seat for long rides??
Comfortable? [sm=funnypostabove.gif] Who said anything about being comfortable [sm=laughat.gif] Its like a brick ... a soft brick [sm=trust_me.gif] of course its fine for trips around town and trail riding which is what I use my bike for [sm=yikesomg.gif]