Another MX Fender Installed....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another MX Fender Installed....

Hey guys, was talking to Deej last night telling him about my latest project and he requested a post, so here it is....

After ripping the upper mounting ears off my license plate last fall I had to move the plate up the stock holder and drill 2 holes in the middle of it. It kept the plate out of the tire, but then it blocked the exhaust even more and led to a nice black cruddy fender and license plate. From day 1 I hated the stock plate holder, and the rear fender to me, just looked broken. All the lines on the bike sweep up toward the rear and then it just jags down at an odd angle.

Anyway, I ordered the Maier KLX300 MX fender, and Baja Designs taillight/plate holder, and their license plate frame/mounting kit. The fender required some massaging with a dremel to get it to notch into the rear inner fender and to get the mounting holes to line up. Then I roughly marked where the front rack mounts were and ground out 2 notches for those. With the fender semi mounted I marked the rear rack holes through the rack mount and drilled small ish holes to verify that I was in the right position.
Then I slide the BD taillight in and marked it for the rack mount and made those holes considerably larger so the rack bolts would have ample clearance, clearanced the fender to install the rubber grommets around the rack and checked the fitment again.
With the long body of the BD taillight I had to trim about 2-3 inches off the far end due to the curve of the fender. The taillight and fender looked like if you place a banana on a flat surface, a large gap between the 2. After trimming the taillight it fit together smoothly.

Anyway here's some pics:

Name:  KLX174Medium.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  KLX175Medium.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  93.8 KB

The light pictures are just with the running light going, not the brakelight, I didn't have a rubberband handy to show off the brakelight. The LED's look funny in the last one because the lense has a honeycomb pattern on it. There are 19 total LED's, 4 white ones face down for the plate light, and 15 for the brake/tail light. The running light is bright looking directly at it, the brakelight you CAN NOT look directly at it.

You'll notice I left the subframe intact. I commute to work and strap my lunch and various other things to the rack and I use those last tie down stubs on the subframe. It was either try and bend it up to match the fender, cut it off, or leave it and I chose to leave it because if I try to bend it I'd likely crack it somewhere, and if I cut it off I lose my tie down anchor.

When I get time I plan to fill in that gap with either some plastic or painted aluminum and just leave the very bottom of the subframe tube showing, I'll probably paint it black so it blends with the taillight assembly.

Just removing the stock junk back there saves I'd say 2-4lbs off the bike, the stock fender and especially the plate holder are rediculously heavy!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another MX Fender Installed....

looks pretty good..... hey quick question.... i put my stock tail light back on... got rid of the acerbis one, and i think i lost the nuts to bolt the rack on, for the studs that go throught the fender... do you think they are a special thread, im having a hell of a time finding the correct thread pattern nuts for the studs.... [:@]

Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

looks great- did your have to do any thing special to get the leds to work?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Eric I'm sure the nuts are metric if it took a 10mm wrench the nuts might be 6mm any bike shop will have a selection or most home centers have them also.....

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok sweet..... guess ill be walking into the hardware store with the rack...lol....

Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

The taillight just requires you to cut the 3 plugs off the stock one, and solder them onto the leads for the new one. It doesn't cause issues like the LED turn signals that we all have read about.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that tail light is nice. the one guy i ride with who is on a drz has one of those lights.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

That looks good brayntjt. I just got my mx fender in the mail a couple weeks ago. Don't know what im waiting for to put it on... Its nice to see one with the rack on it, i'm thinking about keeping mine too.
As far as the tail light, i went with the edge 2. Sounds just like your Baja designs. Bright when its just the running light, and blinding when the brake goes on!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice job man!! I really like that fender.