No, I am buying an Aprilia.
0%
No, I will buy a Web Cam.
2.86%
Yes, I will do it myself
28.57%
Yes, I will do all but the ACR myself.
11.43%
Yes, but I suck at being a mechanic. Someone else will do it for me.
0%
Yes, but just the intake, the ACR scrares the $^%$ out of me.
2.86%
I don't know about a cam mod, but I do know that the 09/10 have a tank recal.
14.29%
I have already done it.
11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Another Cam mod POLL

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
My findings are what I found. If you don't agree, sorry dude.

Done here till some one grows up.

David
David , this has nothing to do with growing up , it was meant to get you thinking .
I´m now 40 , I´ve made my first " bike " when I was 14 , out off a old chainsaw and a banana bike . Sience then some of the cars prepared by me have gained championships .
I hate to see you lose , especially that now you have done 90% of the work .
But in the end it´s your loss , not mine ; whether you succeed or fail doesn´t buy me a bag of peanuts ...

Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marcelino
David , this has nothing to do with growing up , it was meant to get you thinking .
I´m now 40 , I´ve made my first " bike " when I was 14 , out off a old chainsaw and a banana bike . Sience then some of the cars prepared by me have gained championships .
But in the end it´s your loss , not mine ; whether you succeed or fail doesn´t buy me a bag of peanuts ...
I'm now 21 and I learned that you shouldn't fix something that's not broke.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marcelino
Marcelino, I've been skeptical about this mod from the beginning, but not unappreciative of the creativity and potential that it might yield. I think one of the confusion points is that many of us initially thought this mod alone yielded a 25% power increase...5hp...when you actually did an intake and exhaust mod in concert with the cam timing. Your English is way better than my Spanish, but I think some of the discussion over this has been a tiny bit language related.

I want to say that I appreciate your effort here, and I don't discount that some benefit is gained. Just moving the powerband down in the rpm range would be a benefit for most of us, and I can see how that is achieved by this mod. I don't think there are many "magic bullets" in modding. The bigger displacement addition with everything else working properly is probably the biggest gain to be made. Thinking outside the box to gain any benefit is an admirable effort.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the review.

Originally Posted by David R
Yesterday morning I did the mod. I removed the exhaust cam, adjusted the valves, turned the compression release, and timed the cams.

Before starting, I cranked the motor with no spark plug in until it had oil up top. Then I fired it up. sounded a little different. I took it all the way up to the rev limiter before I left my shop for a test drive. I would rather have problems and not push the thing back. No problems.

Off I went for a ride. I lost some of the snap the bike had when I put the slide carb on. I lost some top end. I gained a LITTLE torque in the mid range. It almost wants to lift the tire in second.

Air box is quiet when I am cruising at a constant speed with no lid on it. Open the throttle up and it is still loud. Exhaust sounds different. Neither of these have anything to do with horse power.

I DID NOT GAIN 5 HORSE POWER. I don't think I gained any. I lost it on the top end and I lost the "Pull your arms out of your socket" I used to get when I first cranked the throttle.

SO FAR top speed is 73 mph. It used to be 83 consistently and once I saw 89.

Bike starts great hot and cold. Runs good, but not as good as before. I only went for a couple of short rides then I had other things to do.

More later after a few miles. it takes me a while to digest and get a good feel for the bike.

I have been messing with small engines since I was 10. I worked at a snowmobile dealer when I was 15-20 as a mechanic. I have a 2 year degree in auto mechanics and have been one since. I own a repair shop.
I am now 50.

David

KLX 351SF with TM36-68 carb and my own exhaust mod.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't the intake & exhaust mod accomplished by cam timing (all one thing), but the 5hp gain from combining that with minor exhaust & lid mod?

I've only seen one example of a quantification of any of this, and it was the set of dyno charts posted by Marcellino in support of what he did. I think unless someone posts dyno runs showing no gains (assuming jetting adjusted to fit the mod), I am giving the benefit of the doubt to him - not siding with or against anyone personally, it's just where the most solid facts seem to be. And I haven't tried any of this, so have no more input - but will be paying close attention. Surely there is someone else out there with a KLX who is thinking of doing this who has a tuning & dyno friend?

Edit: I typed too slow. That was referring to I think one of the confusion points is that many of us initially thought this mod alone yielded a 25% power increase...5hp...when you actually did an intake and exhaust mod in concert with the cam timing.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Marcelino, I've been skeptical about this mod from the beginning, but not unappreciative of the creativity and potential that it might yield. I think one of the confusion points is that many of us initially thought this mod alone yielded a 25% power increase...5hp...when you actually did an intake and exhaust mod in concert with the cam timing. Your English is way better than my Spanish, but I think some of the discussion over this has been a tiny bit language related.

I want to say that I appreciate your effort here, and I don't discount that some benefit is gained. Just moving the powerband down in the rpm range would be a benefit for most of us, and I can see how that is achieved by this mod. I don't think there are many "magic bullets" in modding. The bigger displacement addition with everything else working properly is probably the biggest gain to be made. Thinking outside the box to gain any benefit is an admirable effort.
Well spoken (err, typed) TNC. You've put into words what I've been feeling. It would be helpful, though I don't know if anyone will be up for it, would be a before and after dyno comparison of the Marcelino Cam mod with no other mods taking place at the same time (except jetting changes as needed). This would help to isolate the effects of the cam timing change, and highlight any benefits that it provides.

I want to thank Marcelino for contributing here, and I too think there is a bit of a language barrier that may have led to some miscommunication and hard feelings. We're all on the same team here, together searching for more HP from our beloved KLX's.

Dave

Last edited by HeavyFuel; 07-04-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I've seen dyno's, one or two on this forum where someone got a baseline at stock and went to stage two, the one I remember the best was, was 18hp before and 23hp afterward. It is alot to expect from just those mods but the dyno was posted here when I saw it. I really wish I had a dyno pull on my bike as it's stage two and feels more than a couple HP up from stock. At this point if I need more power I'll go big bore.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

That must have been before my time here - would like to see that thread. What all is Stage 2? New exhaust, snorkle gone & rejetted?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I would consider that you would want to increase the main jet a size or so at least and probably go another notch on the needle to make this work properly. I know my engine LOVES the fuel. I will certainly give this a go but not till my trips are done.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
That must have been before my time here - would like to see that thread. What all is Stage 2? New exhaust, snorkle gone & rejetted?
Could the dyno run charts on the DynoJet site be what you're after?

click on the "pdf" of your bike
Dynojet Jet Kits - Offering Motorcycle Jet Kits & ATV Jet Kits

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: Another Cam mod POLL