Amsoil in my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Amsoil in my KLX

I know this has been asked before, I just can't find the thread. I have a 09 KLX250 SF, I have not done anything to it outside of a rack, I love the bike its my round town bike. anyhow I tend to ride it kinda hard, its a 250! so I want to go with Amsoil I run it in My Harley sporster and I ride it hard as well. The Kawasaki dealer told me not to run syn in my bike that Kawasaki oil is the only way, I read in the manual it stated the same. I got on the Amsoil websight thery recommend there oil for the KLX?? what do yall think what is everybody using?
Thanks
Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I say that once your bike is broke in, run Amsoil. All of my ninjas that I run it in shift smoother and show no signs of clutch issues while using it. Not sure on the KLX wt would be, 5w-30? I tend to run my rides hard as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Oh goody, the "best oil thread" is back....

Not a THING wrong with running the synthetic of your choice. I would suggest a moto-specific syn. Amsoil is a fine choice. There are others, too. Of equal importance are good oil and air filters; Amsoil, WIX, Baldwin, Purolator (oil), and Uni, BMC, K&N, etc. (air).

Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah sorry about that I looked and did not find any other oil threads?
Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I've tried most of the fancy expensive "boutiuqe" oils and didn't see a difference besides a lighter wallet.

My personal oil of choice is Rotella 15w-40

cheap and jaso certified.

If you insist on syn try the rotella 5w-40.

Rotella makes some that isn't JASO so make sure you check the label on the back, but i think the "heavy duty" labeled ones are all JASO.

My buddy runs rotella on all of his multi-hundred thousand dollar farm equipment in conditions that would make a motorcycle beg for its life not to mention the millions of Semi-tractor fleets across the country who do the same. Its good stuff.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

No biggie. The oil thread is ALWAYS a hoot.

I'm on a Lubrication Management forum (since I'm involved with vehicle maintenance stuff.) You wouldn't BELIEVE how heated some of those guys get! Reps from Amsoil, Schaeffer, Mobil, just call each other out all the time. If they didn't have good products, I wouldn't buy their stuff. Ridiculous behavior.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(Gadz....yes, yes, I know; "whaddya mean you're on another forum??!! Don't we meet your needs??!!) It occurred to me after I logged out.

I'll come clean: I'm also on a few Land Rover and Overland forums. This is the ONLY bike forum though!! Honest!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Another Rotella fan hear. It's inexpensive and bikers love it. Change every 2K miles and don't fret. But if you have money to spend, may as well get syn. Since the motor and clutch share the same oil, and the clutch is hard on oil, you should still plan to change it more frequently.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not the clutch that's hard on oil, it's the gears. I also use Rotella, but there are many good quality oils. Just stay away from the energy conserving oils. They can cause clutch slippage problems.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been running 10W-40 Amsoil Full synthetic since 1000 miles, and at 15,000 miles its still running perfect. I had to edit this because it sounds like I have not changed the oil in 14,000 miles... LOL It's really all I put in all three bikes and my Dodge Diesel. But at over $12.00 a quart, I'm starting to question it...

Quick Reply: Amsoil in my KLX