Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Try the trip on the KLX. If you don't, you'll always wonder what it would've been like.

Probably you'd want some tires that are more pavement oriented and a spare fuel canister (or two) and to go out with a good maintenance check and fresh oil, etc.

Go for it!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 AM

About a month ago I rode my SF on a backroads trip and averaged 300 miles a day for 10 days. I was worn out by the end of the day but I had a blast and would do it again. My only complaint was the seat and I now have a Seat Concepts seat. I've had other bikes, cruisers, sport bikes, DL650 and a KLR but the KLX is my favorite of all of them. KLX gets my vote.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I just did 1000 miles in 2 days on my '09 KLX250SF. It's piped and jetted, otherwise the motor is stock, no gearing or anything. So my main complaint was the seat.. other than that, I couldn't complain; It's a small supermoto and wasn't built for long trips

Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bazzy
Well, I just did 1000 miles in 2 days on my '09 KLX250SF. It's piped and jetted, otherwise the motor is stock, no gearing or anything. So my main complaint was the seat.. other than that, I couldn't complain; It's a small supermoto and wasn't built for long trips
Sargent is hopefully coming up with an answer to our butt woes!
Only a few more weeks until its debut (hopefully)!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and by the way, I know our speedo's are off about 7% but I was doing an indicated 72mph at 7500rpm the entire time. The bike never skipped a beat. I'm sure it was pretty hard on the motor, if it breaks i'll just big bore it. Changed the oil right before leaving and right when I got back

Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Given the trip you describe, and with respect to saner advice already given above, I say take the KLX! If for no other reason than the challenge!

Before deciding for yourself however, please consider the source of my advice; I do many "stupid" things with my SF:
-I ride in snow
-I ride in -20c
-I ride in axle-deep mud
-I ride through water deep enough to fully submerge the tires
-I ride WOT on the freeway for 1-2 hrs at a time
While none of the above activities are particularly fun for me at the time, I do find them rewarding at the end of the day. I do not consider myself hardcore, nor am I reckless. I just don't believe my bike is an heirloom, and I enjoy the challenge.

One piece of sane advice if you do take the KLX: bring a jerry can...
+1 on the WOT freeway but during a 400 mile round trip!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

When I bought my SF I rode 500+ miles over 2 days home. The seat killed me but the small tank made me take breaks. Otherwise it was a good time, cruising at an indicated 70-80 mph. I don't think I'd do a trip like this on knobbies though unless you want to wear yours out.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I did 700 across 4 days on the KLX. It was flawless. Go for it!!!

700 miles, 4 days, 3 bikes, 2 much fun--1 for the road home - ADVrider

Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I did 700 across 4 days on the KLX. It was flawless. Go for it!!!

700 miles, 4 days, 3 bikes, 2 much fun--1 for the road home - ADVrider
Thanks for that. Great trip, and beautiful scenery. Now if I could convince my husband to get a KLX too, I'd plan something more like that. Looked like a lot of fun, minus the rain.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jckid
Thanks for that. Great trip, and beautiful scenery. Now if I could convince my husband to get a KLX too, I'd plan something more like that. Looked like a lot of fun, minus the rain.
That trip looked awesome.. I want to do something like that!

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?