Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC - "Do you ride a rigid mountainbike?"
----------------------------------------
YES! how did you know?

I exert myself needlessly in many other ways too. I ride a single-speed fixie with no brakes, I take a naked sport bike to the track, and I once framed a house with only a hand-saw & hammer...

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
TNC - "Do you ride a rigid mountainbike?"
----------------------------------------
YES! how did you know?

I exert myself needlessly in many other ways too. I ride a single-speed fixie with no brakes, I take a naked sport bike to the track, and I once framed a house with only a hand-saw & hammer...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a yurt.

1200 miles in 6 days is on average 200 miles per day, at 60 mpg and 1.5 gallons of fuel, you'll need to stop more than twice per day for fuel.

What about long stretches? your safe range between stations is only 100 miles or so. That's short, very limiting, and honestly it has kept me from taking some great local rides over mountain passes.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode my klx on a 5-6 hour jaunt this spring only stopping for gas. I enjoyed it but my butt got past sore and I walked funny for a few days afterward. I would not have wanted to ride like that for a second day in a row.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
That's a yurt.

1200 miles in 6 days is on average 200 miles per day, at 60 mpg and 1.5 gallons of fuel, you'll need to stop more than twice per day for fuel.

What about long stretches? your safe range between stations is only 100 miles or so. That's short, very limiting, and honestly it has kept me from taking some great local rides over mountain passes.
YURT! That is it!
Thanks..

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
YURT! That is it!
Thanks..
looks like a luxury tent lol

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
looks like a luxury tent lol
It is. Except that they are generally set up on a more permanent basis, able to withstand snow loading, and often have a little wood burning stove. The Forest Service has many of them around here, generally used by snow skiers and shoers.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes I think your crazy. Crazy Cool!-A chick with two bikes, one off road the other a 610! Rare creature indeed.
I say swap in some perelli MT90's and go for it on the KLX. The MT90's will let you do some dirt without wearing out on the slab. Definatly do everything you can regarding makeing the seat more comfortable and bring a fuel can or two.(make your husband carry)
Either way take some photos and give us a ride report.
Cheers, Jim

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The yurts I've been in had wood floors, a lattice type wall structure, lights, heat, and bunk beds. I spent several summers in the square version which was just a canvas wall tent draped over a wood frame and floor.

Several coastal campgrounds have them too. Something for the weenie campers to sleep in that is better than a tent but rougher than a hotel. No plumbing in the yurts.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

About the yurt...it's used a warming hut for snowmobilers, but they keep it up year round.

Regarding gas stops...the X-Country has a pretty small tank too. It has a slightly farther range than the KLX, but not much. I do have two large MSR fuel bottles. I think together they're 1/2 gallon. I'd probably need to stop every 100 miles anyway to take a break from the seat.

My husband actually wants me to sell the Husky and get a BMW G650GS for traveling. Well correction...HE wants to get a new 650GS and then give the X-Country to me. Not sure I could part with the Husky though...and not sure about buying yet another bike. When he told our friend at the dealer that I'm thinking of riding my KLX instead of the Husky this year, our friend thought I'd lost my mind. Well actually, he already thinks I'm crazy for traveling on the 610, and so does my mechanic.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?