Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?

I have two bikes--a Husky 610 and a KLX. Last summer my husband and I rode to Oregon. The trip was 1200 miles over 5 days. He rode is BMW G650X-Country, and I rode my 610.

This year, we're thinking about doing it again (slightly different route, 1200 miles over 6 days). The ride will be all pavement (well, except for maybe 10-20 miles of dirt). I'm considering riding the KLX, and my husband thinks I'm nuts! Actually, everyone I know thinks it's a crazy idea, except for my dad, who has ridden some longer rides on his TW200.

So what do you guys think?

Some more details--My husband doesn't like to ride over 60mph anyway, and I always lead, so on the KLX I should be able to set the pace he likes and not go off and leave him. I would put the stock counter sprocket back on the KLX (currently geared down for off-road). I run Pirelli MT21 tires. Not sure if I should just wear them out on the trip, or switch to more street oriented tires. Biggest problem--the seat! I have a Renazco on my 610, so the KLX seat is a 2X4 in comparison, but I'm thinking with my Alaska Buttpad (sheepskin) and bicycle shorts, it might work ok.

Last year it was a new challenge for me to ride on a trip that far, but this year I'm thinking that riding the KLX would make it a new challenge. I can always take the easy way out and ride the 610, but I really like the KLX. Thoughts? Encouragement/discouragement?

My KLX:

My Husky (from last year's trip):

Last edited by jckid; 06-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

talk to this guy....
YouTube - ‪Clymer Road Trip: Around The World On A Yamaha R1 Motorcycle Adventure Trip Sjaak Lucassen‬‏

I would say thats nuts just because of fuel range on stock tank.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a LOT of highway speed, day after day. Take the 610. The rides your Dad did with his 200; solo, highway,backroads??
I think you'll have a more enjoyable time with the bigger bike. It's got have a fun factor. Wringing out the 250 for that many days would not be fun, IMHO.

If your husband doesn't have a smaller bike, get him one, then do a ride that's more of a backroad/dirt/no road ride in keeping with where the 250 is more fun.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 06-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd go with the husky. It looks like its a 'tard.. If you had the SF I would say take the KLX.
I'm doing a 2 day trip to VT in less than a month on the KLX (SF).
(wish the sargent was available a little bit ahead of time)

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Well, I'll vote "crazy" too...LOL!...but seriously, it's something the bike is more than capable of. I wouldn't do it if I had that choice of bikes you have...but then I wouldn't do it on a Gold Wing anymore, because I bring all kinds of camping stuff and sleep in my van so that I can do it in absolute comfort. But people are different and want different challenges. I only want my challenge to be of the off road variety, hence I take a modded KLX to accomplish that.

If I were going to be on pavement for the most part, I'd stay with the Husky. That model is quite durable and not a race bike with a plate. The bottom line is that it will be way more accomplished for long hauls, but you can accomplish it on the KLX. You will have to be more wary in highway situations where more traffic is present, even if you're avoiding interstates and such. The KLX will get overtaken a lot by faster traffic, and you won't have much reserve when you get behind slower traffic that you need to pass. And while you say your husband only likes to go 60mph, it's funny how you need or want bursts of speed on mostly pavement riding that often far exceeds what you may normally cruise at.

Your bike is more than capable of doing this, but why thrash it? Why not enjoy the benefits of well-seated Husky 610 that you already have? That's my vote.

BTW, I equate your idea to what some mountainbikers get into when they ride their rigid, non-suspension mountainbikes in decently rough terrain rather than a fully suspended mountainbike. The proper full suspension bike will almost always be superior in rougher conditions, but the rigid rider will enjoy the challenge of riding that terrain on the rigid. You couldn't beat me with a stick to give up my FS MTB to ride anything rougher than a bike path, but people are different and have fun in different ways.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Given the trip you describe, and with respect to saner advice already given above, I say take the KLX! If for no other reason than the challenge!

Before deciding for yourself however, please consider the source of my advice; I do many "stupid" things with my SF:
-I ride in snow
-I ride in -20c
-I ride in axle-deep mud
-I ride through water deep enough to fully submerge the tires
-I ride WOT on the freeway for 1-2 hrs at a time
While none of the above activities are particularly fun for me at the time, I do find them rewarding at the end of the day. I do not consider myself hardcore, nor am I reckless. I just don't believe my bike is an heirloom, and I enjoy the challenge.

One piece of sane advice if you do take the KLX: bring a jerry can...

Last edited by go cytocis; 06-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Given the trip you describe, and with respect to saner advice already given above, I say take the KLX! If for no other reason than the challenge!

Before deciding for yourself however, please consider the source of my advice; I do many "stupid" things with my SF:
-I ride in snow
-I ride in -20c
-I ride in axle-deep mud
-I ride through water deep enough to fully submerge the tires
-I ride WOT on the freeway for 1-2 hrs at a time
While none of the above activities are particularly fun for me at the time, I do find them rewarding at the end of the day. I do not consider myself hardcore, nor am I reckless. I just don't believe my bike is an heirloom, and I enjoy the challenge.

One piece of sane advice if you do take the KLX: bring a jerry can...
Do you ride a rigid mountainbike?...LOL! JK of course.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

To answer a few questions from the replies above--

- Yes, my husband has a smaller bike (Honda CRF230L). I'd like to do more of a dirt road tour, but I just can't ask him to ride that 230, unless we make it a shorter, more leisurely trip. That bike is the worst! The suspension beats you to death, and it vibrates worse than any bike I've ridden. He really wants a KLX, but doesn't want to buy another bike right now. And he's not that comfortable on dirt when he's riding the bigger bike.

- When I say the better half only likes to ride 60mph, I don't mean cruise 60, I mean max 60! Seriously! I think he's gone 70 maybe once! I love riding his X-Country, and when I get off of it, I always tease him by telling him I just don't know how he makes it go so slow! But I've been riding my whole life, and he's a pretty new rider who learned to ride very late in life, so I'm just glad we get to ride, even it it's a little slow.

- My dad (with the TW200) will literally ride it at 60mph for like 5 hours! That little bike is wound out! Once, when I was on my Husky, and he was on the TW, he rolled to a stop on the side of the road. I was sure he'd finally blown it up. But no, he'd only ran out of gas!

Anyway, looks like it's about 4 to 1 that I am crazy (so far)! It probably does make more sense to take the Husky. At least my butt would probably thank me. Still thinking though...I might take the KLX on an overnighter (all road miles) and see how it goes.

Last edited by jckid; 06-14-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

My vote is that you should try it. Why not? A little crazy? Maybe. But that's what adventure and challenge are all about. Maybe get one of those Stearns seat covers from Walmart and/or the sweet cheeks Sweet Cheeks motorcycle seat suport

If you can get more street oriented tires, it could save running off the ***** from the MT21s.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

What is that house-thing called in the background of the first pic?
I used to know.. now I don't!

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Should I take the KLX on this trip?