Alright how much does this matter? Worth replacing or should I just let her hang!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 05:43 PM
Default Alright how much does this matter? Worth replacing or should I just let her hang!

This is on my 09 KLX250sf, which I have converted into a dual sport. I ride a lot of trails and single track and I will 100% break this little guy again. What is the value of this thing?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The hose and the little container are intended to catch and contain any oil drain down that comes off the air filter. Primarily to keep it off the pavement. Seeing tha you ride on single track and the likes, having it shouldn't matter. Now, depending on what state or area you live, it may matter when it comes time for a state inspection. I know where I live and get my bike(s) inspected, they only check the horn, brake light and low and high beam on the headlight.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlkDakDave
The hose and the little container are intended to catch and contain any oil drain down that comes off the air filter. Primarily to keep it off the pavement. Seeing tha you ride on single track and the likes, having it shouldn't matter. Now, depending on what state or area you live, it may matter when it comes time for a state inspection. I know where I live and get my bike(s) inspected, they only check the horn, brake light and low and high beam on the headlight.
I am inspection free here in the PNW! Sounds like I should be good to go then!

Old 09-01-2020, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I took that off the first day.. trimmed up all the hoses a bit too..it barely has any weeping that comes down anyway.... remove and ride

Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdeuce
I took that off the first day.. trimmed up all the hoses a bit too..it barely has any weeping that comes down anyway.... remove and ride
thanks i wondered that too... 👍

Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

excuse my ignorance but i was always wondering what that little bugger was!

oil from the air filter? how would any oil get in the air filter in the first place?

Old 10-03-2020, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Breather tube from the engine exhausts into the air box... and drippage if the filter is over oiled.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

gotcha...i don't ride dirt so I wouldn't know a great deal about oiling my filter but this is awesome to know!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Even though you don't ride dirt you do still need to clean and oil your filter every so often. The oil stops small particle dirt that is in the air in pretty much all conditions. Cars have filters replaced (paper non-serviceable) and they only run roads.

Don't ignore it, every now and again take off the seat and top cover to take a look. Maybe clean it every oil change. A bottle of filter oil and a large plastic food storage bag to knead the oil into the filter without making too big a mess. Some MX riders will have multiple filters oiled up and in the bag ready to go. You can do the same so you can clean the dirty filter at your convenience.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh ok yeah, good information here. I haven't looked at mine in 3k miles so I'll make sure to do that today then (warm Sunday here) and report back. I think I've taken mine on a dirt-trail only once in that 3k miles. If I get some pics ill be sure to post it up and give ya'll an update on how it looks!

Quick Reply: Alright how much does this matter? Worth replacing or should I just let her hang!